Plans and developments already underway to grab what little groundwater there is under the Great Basin desert valleys so endless growth at Las Vegas can continue could devastate not just the rest of Nevada, but Utah too.

Story in the Salt Lake Tribune. Downwind again: Utah must guard against Nevada Dust Bowl. Tribune editorial.

8 Responses to Las Vegas' groundwater pumping plans could leave Utah in the dust.

1. avatar Jim says:

Has a study ever been done to determine how much less energy would be used and how much less water would need to be diverted if the city or county of Las Vegas was closed and evacuated?

2. avatar elkhunter says:

I doubt it, because I dont think that would even be feasible, considering how many people live there.

3. avatar begreen says:

that’s a good idea ~ one could probably get a nice sized faith-based gov. grant for that too… bring that money back to science 😉

4. avatar JEFF E says:

It,s not just Utah. Las Vegas is trying to get at the water in North Westren Arizona also.

5. avatar Phillip D. says:

Las Vegas and of course Arizona have a number of illegal immigrants working in there hotels and casinos. Maybe if the US government controlled the border as the current US law states Vegas would not need water from Utah or anywhere else. This is a classic example of what will happen if this country continues the current immigration policy. The prediction is 450 million by 2050. The more people the more natural resources needed to support the increased population. As I see it most pro-environment citizens have know problem with allowing ILLEGAL immigrants to come in droves. Hypocrites I say.

6. avatar skyrim says:

Buck up Phil. The global problems of humanity cannot be blamed on the imigration policy of the US, however flawed it is. A handy little game of diversion you play on that side of the table. Yawn………..

7. avatar Phillip D. says:

Skyrim,
    I was not answering the global problems of humanity. I was giving a solution to the problems in Las Vegas which is far from the problems we as humans face globally. It sounds to me you are for globalization of the planet. Neither liberal or conservative I am a pragmatist and use common sense to solve problems.

8. avatar Eric says:

I agree with the idea of studying how much could be saved by curtailing the expansion of Vegas at least. Isn’t there a limit to growth in those parts???? I’ve heard some places in Arizona at least have done studies on the water supply capacity for a region – such as Flagstaff.