7 Responses to Utah wildlife officers encounter un-bull-eviable scene

1. avatar sal says:

An interesting side note:

I was just showing this article to a couple friends who hunt. One told me of a pair of deer that were caught in a similar situation and the surviving buck somehow managed to pull away with the entire head and rack of its opponent still attached.

Yikes, that would be a rather gruesome sight.

2. avatar Mack P. Bray says:

Somewhere on or near a trail in Yellowstone, I cannot for the life of me remember where, is a large, single antler that was caught in a tree and the tree grew around it. Anyone know where this is?

3. avatar April Clauson says:

Yes, it is in the meadow below Speciman ridge? About 1/2 mile from where the Wolves were held before they were released. Our guide showed it to us, I have a picture of it. It is so cool, in one of the Aspen groves. If I was there I could take you too it.

4. avatar Concerned says:

Antler locks as well as other locks are not un-common, it happens quite often.

5. avatar Mack P. Bray says:

April, will you please consider emailing me the pic? I would *really* appreciate it. 🙂

In my faded memory, the antler is not in an aspen grove, but is in a tree, perhaps a cottonwood, very near a drop towards a creek or river.

Could there be 2 in Yellowstone?

Mack P. Bray
    My opinions are my own

wildlifewatchers@bresnan.net

6. avatar sal says:

Good thing that “antler in tree” is in the Park, otherwise some smart-alek would have cut down the tree just for the unique trophy, which would keep others from enjoying it too.

7. avatar steve says:

We believe we saw your “antler tree” on a hike through the Black Canyon of the Yellowstone in September 2006. It was in a part of the trail that follows the river closely. We may have a photo.

December 2007