Earlier we had a thread on being exposed to the outdoors and a life long interest in wildlife/conservation/fitness, etc.

I had no idea that “Congress is considering A No Child Left Inside Act that would make federal funds available for environmental education.”

What a good idea!

Story in the Denver Post. Learning goes into the wild. By Nancy Lofholm. The Denver Post

7 Responses to Learning goes into the wild

1. avatar vicki says:

Last year I went with my son to the outdoor education program at his school, here in Colorado. They go to the YMCA camp in Estes Park, it lies on the border of Rocky Mountain National Park. I had a blast!!!
    I was amazed at how little the parents knew too. They were just as captivated.
    This is an awesome idea. And, it will serve these kids well.
    This is the best news I have heard for a long time.
    Maybe WW would want to partner up too!

2. avatar Save bears says:

I am really glad to hear, that finally the agencies and others are taking notice of this, and working on plans to turn things around, growing up in the outdoors, it has really dismayed me to see such a lack of desire in the current generations o participate in the outdoors, I work a lot of kids that have never really be exposed to the outdoors an I find it exciting when they do get exposed, it is such an important part of growing up! Kudos to these folks and I really hope the programs started in CO can expand to other areas of the country.

3. avatar Jon Way says:

What a great idea!!! I am sure Bush will veto it. Call me a pessimist.

4. avatar vicki says:

I’d say realist.

5. avatar Save bears says:

Being I doubt the bill will be presented before Bush leaves office in January, I doubt he will have a chance to veto it..

6. New concept bills are often introduced in a Congress (I’m referring to the 2-year period called “a Congress”) with little expectation of passage, but instead of familiarization.

When the next Congress, or even the next one meets 4 years later, a serious effort to pass the bill is made.

7. avatar DNLee says:

Spending time outdoors as a kid can have big impacts on your relationship to nature as adult. It did for me.
    I posted about my Childhood memories of my outdoor education on my blog.

That’s why study science now, I think and I love sharing science with others!!