Yellowstone, bison to be featured on postage stamp-

AP story on the new postage stamp series.

17 Responses to Who said the government won't do something to help the bison?

1. avatar Maska says:

Ah, yes. Reminds one of that bit of gallows humor about subdivision developers: Cut down the trees, displace the animals, and name the streets after them.

2. avatar Salle says:

Apparently, the only way Americans seem able to honor iconic figures is to eliminate them and then make up stories and create effigies to tell their progeny how great they were… and or place them in our “fabulous” zoos for entertainment value.
    Notice the official emblems for DoI and Ag…

3. Cultural conservatives love symbols. They mistake them for what they are supposed to represent.

4. avatar Robert Hoskins says:

I hope this postage stamp doesn’t reflect a prediction of the extinction of the wild bison.

5. avatar Salle says:

Probably a “heads-up” for exactly that, Robert.

6. avatar Robert Hoskinsq says:

Well, not if I can help it.

7. avatar Wolfy says:

Does any of the proceeds go toward the protection of bison? Probably not.

8. avatar Alan Gregory says:

I doubt it. The proceeds will likely simply be plowed back into the bureaucracy’s budget. Plain and simple. Salle’s comments are particularly pleasing to read.

9. avatar Mike says:

Expect a memo from the livestock industry indicating that these stamps may have to be killed due to the possibility of spreading brucellosis.

10. avatar vickif says:

Maybe we should place a bunch of postcards with that stamp into the mail, to the EPA, DOI, Ag, etc? Simply place a message asking why we “place a piece of unvalued livestock on a postage stamp”. After all, we don’t put chickens, pigs, sheep and cows on a stamp, which is what is really valued by our government.
    Then demand they list bison as wildlife and not livestock. I know it won’t get us far, but it will draw attention to the hypocritcial behavior.

11. avatar Maska says:

I’m thinking of buying a bunch of sheets of these stamps and using them on all my mail. And on the back of each envelope, I’ll write the URL of the Buffalo Field Campaign web site, as follows:

Learn the truth about the Yellowstone bison!

When they toss us lemons, it’s time to brew some lemonade.

12. avatar Barb says:

The cattle industry for the most part, HATES bison, falsely spreading the LIE that bison spread brucellis, when it is CATTLE that spreads this disease to the bison!!!

13. avatar Barb says:

I’d rather have Ted Turner as Secretary of Interior……

14. avatar Indamani says:

Maska,

I like your idea. It’s time the general public learn the truth about the plight of the Yellowstone wild bison.

15. avatar Buffaloed says:

Did anyone look at the denomination of the stamp? $17.50

I doubt many of them will be used for letters.

16. avatar Maska says:

Oops. No, I didn’t check the denomination. Seems odd that they’d put such an iconic creature on a stamp that will be so little used. Too bad, because I still like the idea.

I may just start writing the legend and URL on the backs of my holiday cards anyway. It’s an easy way to get the word out to people who would otherwise never hear about the situation–and in the case of our holiday cards, to people on whom we may actually have some influence.

17. avatar Barb says:

The cattle industry has been running roughshod for too long in the West. It’s time that this travesty ends! Putting Salazar in a position to protect our lands is like putting the fox in charge of the henhouse. I am more and more de-impressed with Obama daily.

December 2008