Sunflower © Ken Cole

Sunflower © Ken Cole

Memorial Day Weekend Trip in Photos

My wife and I went to Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in Southeastern Oregon for Memorial Day weekend to do some bird watching and a little fishing.  I had intended to post this shortly afterwards but other stories and a trip to Massachusetts and Maine got in the way.

We took a day trip through the Catlow Basin and through part of the Alvord Basin to Coyote Lake Basin as well. While there I did a little fishing for the Willow/Whitehorse Creek Cutthroat which is a minor subspecies of Lahontan Cutthroat. I caught and photographed two of these fish.

Phlox © Ken Cole

Garter Snake © Ken Cole

Tiger Swallowtail © Ken Cole

Tiger Swallowtail © Ken Cole

Horned Grebe © Ken Cole

Horned Grebe © Ken Cole

Ken Cole

Ken Cole, Buffalo Field Campaign's Executive Director, is a 5th generation Idahoan, an avid fly fisherman, wildlife enthusiast, and photographer. He was formerly the Idaho Director for Western Watersheds Project.

10 Responses to Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, Oregon.

1. avatar Eric T. says:

pretty sweet. thanks

2. Very nice. I especially liked the tanager photo. By the way, I’m pretty sure your “unknown desert flower” is an orange globe mallow (Sphaeralcea munroana).

3. avatar Ken Cole says:

Nice, do you know what kind of sunflower the top photo is?

4. avatar Ken Cole says:

I particularly like the ibis photo my wife took.

5. avatar Maska says:

Wonderful photos, Ken. I love the geometry of the willet picture. Thanks!

6. avatar Save bears says:

Ken,

The sunflower looks like it may be arrowroot balsam

7. I think Save Bears is probably right on the flower: arrowleaf balsamroot (Balsamorhiza sagittata). It’s hard to tell without being able to see the leaves, though. It could also be Carey’s balsamroot (B. careyana), though that’s more common near the Columbia. Real botanists are encouraged to ridicule my calls, here.

8. avatar Susan Bordeaux says:

Great to see these photos again. Not as many species to see in Western Massachusetts, however, lots of homo sapiens.

Susan is my wife and this is her first comment to a blog ever 😉 – Ken

9. avatar ProWolf in WY says:

Great pictures. I have heard that avocets are very aggressive when they have a nest nearby. Was this one near a nest?

10. avatar Ryan says:

Next time you there, stop by the Steen Mtn hotel and pick up a book they have there. It was written by the one of the first naturalists to visit or.. Fascinating. Sorry I don’t remember the name.

June 2009