Stopping growth in Teton County, Idaho
No one will surprised to learn that growth on the Idaho side of the Tetons is out-of-control.
The linked article by Pacific Northwest political observer Randy Stapilus about enactment of a 6-month growth moratorium in Teton County is interesting here because people keep saying we need to subsidize the ranchers. We need to let […]Continue Reading →
Divide Wide Over Mexican Wolf Program
This is bad news for the struggling Mexican wolf program, but the blame is on these rural counties who for years have believed that obeying the law is optional. I am not just badmouthing them, this was heart of county secession, militia movement back in the 1990s.
Story in the Las Cruces Sun News. […]Continue Reading →
Additional wolf delisting hearing slated for Cody on April 19.
The time and place for the Cody wolf delisting hearing has been set.
Open house, from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. (brief presentations about the proposed rule will be given at both 3 p.m. and 4 p.m.), and public hearing, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., will be held April 19, 2007, Thursday, at the […]Continue Reading →
Ex-Dept of Interior Auditor Says He Was Told to Be Lax on Oil Fees
Another DOI outrage has been revealed by the new congress.
Story in the New York Times. By Edmund L. Andrews.
You can bet DOI employees were told to be lax on a lot of other things besides collecting fees from the oil companies on your public land!
– – – – – – […]
Wuerthner: Hunting In National Parks Not Appropriate
This is a guest opinion column in New West.
It is proposed to reduce the obvious overpopulation of elk in Rocky Mountain National Park by hunting. There are other possbilities. Wuerthner doesn’t like the hunting option and explains why. He prefers predation of the elk.
I’d like to see wolves reintroduced too, but they […]Continue Reading →
This glass bottomed walk over the Grand Canyon is on the little-visited Indian Reservation part of the Canyon far downstream of where most tourists see the canyon.
There are complaints about this intrusion, but I see it as little compared to the traffic jam of aerial sightseeing over the canyon.
The purpose is to make […]Continue Reading →
"Montana, Don’t Be Another Wyoming," says Bill Schneider
Columnist Bill Schneider at New West writes: Earlier this week, the Montana House of Representatives, on a 58-41 vote, passed an appropriation to send at least $150,000 in the hard-earned tax money to a Cheyenne law firm (Budd-Falen) to sue the federal government–at the same time cutting money for programs like all-day kindergarten, assistance for […]Continue Reading →
Groups say coal plant near Gillett, Wyoming, needn’t be so polluting
We hear about the wonders of “clean coal” technology all the time, but we hear about the actual deployment of dirty coal technology in the everyday world.
We live in the everyday world.
Story in the Billings Gazette. By Matthew Brown. APContinue Reading →
Subscribe to Blog via EmailJoin 970 other subscribers
- The Logging Juggernaut June 6, 2023
- New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices June 5, 2023
- We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate. May 31, 2023
- Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges May 27, 2023
- Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green May 26, 2023
- Charles Fox on The Logging Juggernaut
- Maximilian Werner on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Steve Kohlmann on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Kevin Bixby on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Lyn McCormick on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Jannett Heckert on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Rick Meis on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Mary on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Rambling Dave on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Ida Lupine on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Mary on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Jeff Hoffman on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Jeff Hoffman on Senator Daines Ill-advised Forest Management Advocacy