Lawsuit Fights Special Interest Loopholes in Greater Sage-Grouse Plans
Conservation Groups seek to restore science-based habitat protections on public lands
BOISE, Idaho— Conservation groups today filed a lawsuit over more than a dozen greater sage- grouse plans produced by federal agencies that fail to protect this iconic western bird from a series of threats, including fossil fuel development, grazing and mining. The plans cover about 70 […]Continue Reading →
Today House committee considers bills to give our land to the states
House Natural Resources Committee to take up nasty legislation from Idaho’s Raul Labrador and Alaska’s Don Young-
Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership (TRCP)
WASHINGTON, D.C. — On Thursday, the House Natural Resources Committee’s subcommittee on Federal Lands will discuss a handful of bills that promote the idea of transferring America’s public […]Continue Reading →
The Sad Tale of the Montana Arctic Grayling—A Case Study in Agency Maleficence
Grayling are one of the unique fish species found in Montana, and part of its natural heritage. Occupying less than 10% of its former historic habitat, the fish is in jeopardy of extinction. Political interference and agency intransigence are the major obstacles for reversing the fish’s fortune. As such, the grayling is case study in […]Continue Reading →
Bighorn Sheep Die-off in Montana Mountains, Nevada. Is it Any Wonder?
On Sunday and Monday, February 14-15, 2016, USDA Wildlife Services took to the skies and shot the remaining 24 bighorn sheep in the Montana Mountains of northwest Nevada at the request of Nevada Department of Wildlife. These were important sheep because they were once healthy and over 60 had been translocated from there to […]Continue Reading →
Was Cliven Bundy just a lazy rancher?
U. S. Attorney in court says Bundy was not a man of principled views:
“He was too lazy to bring his cattle in during the winter.”
Cliven Bundy has always described his failure to pay grazing fees, or limit how many or where he grazes his cattle, to his powerful anti-federal government feelings. On […]Continue Reading →
Yellowstone bison slaughter has begun
Up to 900 to soon die-
Today the annual cull of Yellowstone bison got underway. It is plenty contentious. I have been ranting about this nearly annual slaughter since 1996 on The Wildlife News and its previous incarnations.
In recent years it has been mostly out of sight just north of the Park’s northern boundary. […]Continue Reading →
A Peaceful Demonstration to Oppose the Continued Slaughter of Wolves in Idaho
A family-friendly demonstration to show support for wolf recovery in Idaho and opposition to Idaho’s Wolf Control Board and the recent aerial gunning of wolves in the “Lolo Zone” by the USDA Wildlife Services and Idaho Fish & Game Department.
1:00 – 2:00pm Mountain Standard Time February 15, 2016
Idaho Capital Building […]Continue Reading →
Do you have some interesting wildlife news? Feb. 13, 2016 edition
It is time to create a new page of “Interesting Wildlife News.” Please put your wildlife news in the comments below. Do not post copyrighted material. Here is the link to the “old” wildlife news of December 17, 2015.Continue Reading →
Wolves in Idaho’s ‘Lolo Zone’ Being Gunned Down by Government
Moscow, ID– Aerial gunning of wild wolves is underway in remote and rugged areas of the Clearwater National Forest, conducted by the federal “Wildlife Services” agency at the behest of the Idaho Fish & Game Department. The government is using helicopters to kill wolves in the so-called ‘Lolo Zone,’ which covers portions of the Selway-Bitterroot […]Continue Reading →
Bundy Gang Won For Now
One result of the Bundy Gang take-over has been the abundant media attention to their assertions of government “overreach” and “aggressive enforcement“ of environmental regulations that, according to Bundy and Gang, has driven ranchers, miners, and loggers from the land. Unfortunately the media have been slow to counter such assertions.
The reality on the ground […]Continue Reading →
Subscribe to Blog via EmailJoin 970 other subscribers
- New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices June 5, 2023
- We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate. May 31, 2023
- Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges May 27, 2023
- Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green May 26, 2023
- Senator Daines Ill-advised Forest Management Advocacy May 25, 2023
- Ida Lupine on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Kevin Bixby on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Lyn McCormick on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Jannett Heckert on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Rick Meis on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Mary on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Rambling Dave on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Ida Lupine on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Mary on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Jeff Hoffman on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Jeff Hoffman on Senator Daines Ill-advised Forest Management Advocacy
- laurie on Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green
- Ida Lupine on Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green
- Jeff Hoffman on Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green