Millions of Bird Deaths in Nevada
Over my years of traipsing around public lands in the West I have come across hundreds of uncapped 3-foot tall PVC pipes sticking out of the ground. For a long time I didn’t know the purpose of the pipes but later came to understand that they were used as markers for mining claims. I’ve peered […]Continue Reading →
“That’s not for us,” say Alaskans after seeing Bingham, Utah mine
Utah’s Kennecott pit shocks Native Alaskans contemplating the proposed giant Pebble Mine-
Kennecott’s pit on the edge of Salt Lake City has been a fixture of the area for many years. It polluted the ground water and the smelter poisoned the air, but it […]Continue Reading →
EPA concerned about Monsanto pollution control dam
EPA wants the dam to release clean, treated water.
The dam built to keep selenium and heavy metals also blocks water flows to the Blackfoot River.
EPA concerned about Monsanto pollution control dam.
By JOHN MILLER – Associated Press
New World Mine claims all purchased
20 year threat of mining near Yellowstone National Park is over.
The New World Mine was proposed to be built just north of Yellowstone National Park in 1990 by a Canadian mining company but it received a lot of opposition because it greatly threatened the headwaters of the Clark Fork of the Yellowstone and Soda […]Continue Reading →
Feds propose extending minerals extraction ban on bighorn habitat
Wyoming herd is a big tourist attraction
The Whiskey Mountain Bighorn Sheep Locatable Mineral Withdrawal may be extended to protect bighorn sheep habitat from development for another 20 years. The herd there is estimated to be about 1,000 bighorn.
Feds propose extending minerals extraction ban on bighorn habitat.
Casper Star Tribune
Conservation deal for Canadian forest the size of Texas-
Although the first article below has a somewhat pessimistic tone, this certainly seems better than the current trend in boreal Canada. There is more value to the vast boreal forest than caribou.
Caribou still at risk under historic forestry deal. Industry, environmentalists band together […]Continue Reading →
Agency mulls selling public land for mine
1,142 acres of BLM Land in southeast Idaho could be sold to Simplot for phosphate mining
This would be a precedent setting decision that would eliminate access to this land and limit input into how it is managed.
Agency mulls selling public land for mine
TODD DVORAK – Associated Press
Judge Molloy blocks mine beneath Cabinet Mountains Wilderness
Is this a final victory in 23 year fight against the mine?
It probably isn’t because Judge Molloy both ruled for and against conservationists on their variety of claims, but it does send the Forest Service’s decision to approve the mine back to square one.
Molloy blocks mine beneath Cabinet Mountains Wilderness. By Michael […]Continue Reading →
British Columbia industrial development ban ends 36-year dispute over Flathead
Controversy began 1n 1974-
Well what a cause for celebration this is! I can remember I was just starting to explore the wild country as a young man back in 1974 when Sage Creek Coal proposed a big coal mine on Cabin Creek, a tributary to the North Fork of the Flathead. In 2008 I […]Continue Reading →
Old mining cleanup at headwaters of Soda Butte Creek almost done
Great progress on the mining mess of the New World Mining district above Cooke City-
Although the article below writes of the headwaters of the Yellowstone. It is actually Soda Butte Creek and the Clark’s Fork of the Yellowstone.
They have been poking around and doing some mining here since the 19th Century. In the […]Continue Reading →
Subscribe to Blog via EmailJoin 973 other subscribers
- The Logging Juggernaut June 6, 2023
- New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices June 5, 2023
- We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate. May 31, 2023
- Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges May 27, 2023
- Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green May 26, 2023
- Ida Lupine on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Jeff on The Logging Juggernaut
- Charles Fox on The Logging Juggernaut
- Maximilian Werner on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Diane Martin-Brodak on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Steve Kohlmann on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Kevin Bixby on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Lyn McCormick on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Jannett Heckert on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Rick Meis on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Mary on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Rambling Dave on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Ida Lupine on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges