More Hype On Fuel Breaks
Targeted grazing seeks to create vegetation free zones, which advocates suggest will assist firefighters in controlling blazes. However, the collateral damage from grazing vastly exceeds any benefits. Photo George Wuerthner
A recent article in the Post Register described the research that the University of Idaho Range Department conducted on Continue Reading →
Pryor Mountains Horse Management Plan Revision Needs Support
Feral horses graze the Pryor Mountains. Photo George Wuerthner
The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) is currently accepting comments on a proposed change in its wild horse management plan for the Pryor Mountains. The BLM needs positive encouragement to follow up on its proposed plan to reduce the Pryor Mountain horse […]Continue Reading →
Livestock Impacts To Desert Regions
ABSTRACT: Livestock production occurs in all deserts (except polar deserts). In many desert areas, it is the single most significant human impact. Livestock production includes grazing plants and all associated activities to produce domestic animals. This consists of the dewatering rivers for irrigated forage crops, killing of predators and “pest” species, forage competition between native […]Continue Reading →
Changes in the riparian vegetation along the San Pedro River before and after livestock removal from the main river corridor.
The Bureau of Land Management released its Environmental Assessment for livestock grazing in the San Pedro National Conservation Area (SPNCA) in Arizona.
The BLM has decided that the […]Continue Reading →
Update on Ambler Road in Alaska’s Brooks Range
Narvak-Lake-headwaters-of-Kobuk-River-Gates-of-Arctic-NP-Alaska-Brooks-Range. Photo George-Wuerthner
While much conservation and political attention have focused on whether to allow oil development in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, another project, the Ambler Mining Project, and road construction proposal may pose even greater threats to the Arctic’s wildlife and wildlands. Despite this threat, The Ambler project has […]Continue Reading →
No chance of fires here–remove all vegetation and your problem with wildfire is solved. Photo George Wuerthner
A recent article in the Capitol Press titled: “New game plan: How targeted grazing on public lands is changing” describes how targeted grazing can fix any problems on public lands. Not unlike how […]Continue Reading →
Wyoming Wilderness Bill On The Table
The Sweetwater River near the Great Basin Desert would receive some wilderness designation under Senator Barraso’s legislation. Photo George Wuerthner
Wyoming Senator Barrasso introduced BLM wilderness legislation– the Wyoming Public Lands Initiative Act of 2021. The legislation releases far more land from Wilderness Study Area status than it protects.
Senator Barrasso’s […]Continue Reading →
BLM lands in Oregon. This kind of abuse of public patrimony is legalized vandalism. Photo George Wuerthner
Western Watershed Project (WWP) recently completed a review of Bureau of Land Management livestock grazing permits that are supposed to be regulated under the Federal Land Policy and Management Act of 1976.
With […]Continue Reading →
Wild Rogue Wilderness Legislation Introduced
The Rogue River cuts through the coastal Siskiyou Mountains. Photo George Wuerthner
Congressman Peter DeFazio (D) from Eugene, Oregon, has introduced into the House the Wild Rogue Conservation and Recreation Enhancement Act. It is a companion bill to earlier legislation in the Senator supported by Senators Wyden and Merkley.
Rogue […]Continue Reading →
A Chance to Stop the Ambler Road (Alaska)
Let’s stop the destructive road into the Brooks Range for good.
Write now to kill the Ambler access road.
The Kobuk River near the village of Kobuk, Brooks Range, Alaska. Photo George Wuerthner
While most attention of conservation groups has focused on proposals to drill in the Arctic Wildlife Refuge, […]Continue Reading →
Subscribe to Blog via EmailJoin 970 other subscribers
- New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices June 5, 2023
- We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate. May 31, 2023
- Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges May 27, 2023
- Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green May 26, 2023
- Senator Daines Ill-advised Forest Management Advocacy May 25, 2023
- Ida Lupine on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Kevin Bixby on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Lyn McCormick on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Jannett Heckert on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Rick Meis on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Mary on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Rambling Dave on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Ida Lupine on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Mary on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Jeff Hoffman on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Jeff Hoffman on Senator Daines Ill-advised Forest Management Advocacy
- laurie on Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green
- Ida Lupine on Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green
- Jeff Hoffman on Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green