Tribal Bison Slaughter Illegal?
Tribal members gutting a bison killed on Custer Gallatin National Forest land near Gardiner, Montana.
As of a week ago, as many as 1,139 bison have been slaughtered by tribal members. Yet the entire so-called tribal bison “hunt” may be illegal. Yet, no group, including those who profess to care about […]Continue Reading →
Pryor Mountains Horse Management Plan Revision Needs Support
Feral horses graze the Pryor Mountains. Photo George Wuerthner
The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) is currently accepting comments on a proposed change in its wild horse management plan for the Pryor Mountains. The BLM needs positive encouragement to follow up on its proposed plan to reduce the Pryor Mountain horse […]Continue Reading →
Response to Governor Gianforte On Forest Management and Wildfire
Previously logged Plum Creek Timber Company lands which didn’t stop 36,ooo acre plus Jocko Lakes Fires. Photo George Wuerthner
Recently Governor Greg Gianforte praised forest management for limiting the spread of two fires near Helena.
Gianforte suggested that active forest management (i.e., logging) helped firefighters to keep two blazes, the […]Continue Reading →
Expand the Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness
The Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness encompasses Montana’s highest peaks and some of the most extensive area above timberline in the lower 48 states. Photo George Wuerthner
By Phil Knight and George Wuerthner, Gallatin Yellowstone Wilderness Alliance www.gallatinyellowstonewilderness.org
It’s time to expand the Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness in Montana and Wyoming. 300,000 acres could be […]Continue Reading →
Climate Not Fuels Drive Large Blazes
Active forest management is viewed as a solution to large blazes, but fails to acknowledge that climate is driving wildfire. It is true that if you completely remove forests, you won’t get a forest fire. Photo George Wuerthner
Proponents of “active forest management” or logging as a means of reducing […]Continue Reading →
Custer Gallatin NF Kirk Hill Project Another Boondoggle
The open canopy of this logging operation on Kirk will promote fire spread by enhancing wind penetration. Photo George Wuerthner
I recently visited the Kirk Hill area in the Gallatin Range on the Custer Gallatin NF (CGNF) south of Bozeman. The CGNF had “thinned” the site as a fire prevention measure.
[…]Continue Reading →
Montana’s Bitterroot Front Project More FS Snake Oil
The Bitterroot Mountains rise up above the Bitterroot Valley in western Montana. Photo George Wuerthner
Montana’s Bitterroot National Forest is proposing the Bitterroot Front Project (BFP), encompassing 144,000 acres. This action will impact an area more than four times the size of the 34,000-acre Rattlesnake Wilderness north of Missoula.
Continue Reading →
A Response to NYT Keeping Cattle On The Move and Carbon In The Soil
Concentration of cattle and moving them frequently has been proposed as a means of storing carbon in soils. Like other claims that seem to be too good to be true, such assertions fail to do a full accounting of the carbon cycle. Photo George Wuerthner
A recent New York […]Continue Reading →
What is Forest Health?
The North Bridger Range is a proposed wilderness. Photo George Wuerthner
In an article in the Bozeman Chronicle about the North Bridger Timber sale, the Forest Service justifies logging the forests based on what it calls “forest health”. The agency claims logging will “restore” resiliency. But few ask what exactly constitutes a […]Continue Reading →
Indian Culpability in Bison Demise
Bison herd. Photo George Wuerthner
Many authors today suggest that Indigenous people somehow behaved differently from other humans, particularly western culture that now dominates the globe in their relationship and exploitation of natural lands.
The general theme is that while the human influence pre-European contact was significant, human exploitation was tempered […]Continue Reading →
Subscribe to Blog via EmailJoin 973 other subscribers
- The Logging Juggernaut June 6, 2023
- New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices June 5, 2023
- We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate. May 31, 2023
- Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges May 27, 2023
- Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green May 26, 2023
- Ida Lupine on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Jeff on The Logging Juggernaut
- Charles Fox on The Logging Juggernaut
- Maximilian Werner on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Diane Martin-Brodak on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Steve Kohlmann on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Kevin Bixby on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Lyn McCormick on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Jannett Heckert on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Rick Meis on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Mary on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Rambling Dave on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Ida Lupine on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges