The Mariposa Grove in Yosemite National Park. Photo George Wuerthner
New legislation, the Save Our Sequoias Act (SOSA) promoted by Republican House Speaker Kevin McCarthy seeks to increase “fuel reductions” such as logging and prescribed burns around California’s iconic sequoia groves.
Who isn’t for “saving” sequoias, the largest and some of […]Continue Reading →
BLM lands in Oregon. This kind of abuse of public patrimony is legalized vandalism. Photo George Wuerthner
Western Watershed Project (WWP) recently completed a review of Bureau of Land Management livestock grazing permits that are supposed to be regulated under the Federal Land Policy and Management Act of 1976.
With […]Continue Reading →
Final victory over Bush anti-public, anti-environment grazing regulations
It took a long time, but Western Watersheds and Advocates for the West seem to have a final victory
As a note, I am pleased to have been a plaintiff for the National Wildlife Federation in fighting this Bush era effort to exclude the public from having influence in grazing decisions, improperly grant property rights […]Continue Reading →
Federal agencies may have to consider climate before they act
The Obama administration may issue an order that would expand the National Environmental Policy Act’s scope to prevent global warming. The move could open up new avenues to challenge projects.
I review grazing allotment renewal documents and rarely, if ever, have I seen climate change discussed. When it is discussed, and only in response to […]Continue Reading →
Well reasoned argument against approval of Idaho Fish and Game’s plans to chase wolves, dart them, land and collar them in Idaho’s sacred central Idaho Wilderness-
Wow, this fellow knows what he is talking about. Ralph Maughan
– – – – – – – – – –
January 2, 2010
Dear Mr. Tidwell Chief, […]Continue Reading →
Sheep Experiment Station produces its first environmental analysis (EA) in its history
After many years in existence, Sheep Experiment State does NEPA analysis on their operations-
According to their web site the Sheep Experiment Station’s mission is “to develop integrated methods for increasing production efficiency of sheep and to simultaneously improve the sustainability of rangeland ecosystems.” OK, but maybe folks would like to know the details.
For […]Continue Reading →
Republican Senator Wants to limit NEPA Review.
From American Lands Alliance:
The Senate is currently debating the economic stimulus bill, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (HR 1), that recently passed the House. Senators are offering amendments to make changes to the bill. We are very concerned about an amendment offered by Senator John Barrasso (R-WY) that waives the National […]Continue Reading →
Bush's Final Days: 'Interior Revamps NEPA Procedures'
The Bush Administration keeps that steady rush of anti-environmental administrative action in its final days. Here’s the latest :
In addition to adding the procedures to the CFR, DOI has made the following key changes to its NEPA regulations:
Interior Revamps NEPA ProceduresContinue Reading →
Subscribe to Blog via EmailJoin 972 other subscribers
- The Logging Juggernaut June 6, 2023
- New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices June 5, 2023
- We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate. May 31, 2023
- Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges May 27, 2023
- Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green May 26, 2023
- Jeff on The Logging Juggernaut
- Charles Fox on The Logging Juggernaut
- Maximilian Werner on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Steve Kohlmann on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Kevin Bixby on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Lyn McCormick on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Jannett Heckert on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Rick Meis on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Mary on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Rambling Dave on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Ida Lupine on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Mary on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Jeff Hoffman on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges