Article in Harper’s Magazine exposes the plot to steal our public lands
“The Great Republican Land Heist: Cliven Bundy and the politicians who want to plunder the West”
Christopher Ketcham details the rancher/Republican grab for our outdoor heritage-
Cristopher Ketcham has been writing about the Western public lands now for a couple years. He is in the mold of Bernard DeVoto who wrote the influential column, […]Continue Reading →
Alberta ranchers bluster about grizzlies too
Brian Horejsi takes some wind out-
In the United States we are familiar with livestock operators in grizzly country often complaining about how they have a lot of trouble with grizzly bears.
A half century ago, the province of Alberta had many more of the great bear than the struggling American populations south of the […]Continue Reading →
“Striking testimony” in Oregon ranchers’ trial for rangeland arson
Trial of the accused Hammond family arsonists is now underway in Pendleton, Oregon–
We have been following this amazing story since it broke two years ago. On the first day of the Pendelton, Oregon trial, young Dusty Hammond told the court how his uncle Steve […]Continue Reading →
Ranchers reflexively oppose moving healthy Yellowstone bison onto lands of people who welcome them-
Recently we did the story “Untrustworthy: the history of Montana cattle ranchers and Yellowstone bison.” It pointed to George Ochenski’s chronicle of the deceit and obstructiveness by Montana ranchers toward protecting the genetics of Yellowstone bison by moving some […]Continue Reading →
Untrustworthy: the history of Montana cattle ranchers and Yellowstone bison
George Ochenski tells how ranchers move the goal posts on Yellowstone bison issue-
Perhaps a hundred stories since we first wrote about the issues of the Yellowstone’s bison’s genetic purity, the seemingly pointless slaughter of Park bison that leave the Park, and many other issues, very slow progress has been made.
Bison perhaps can now […]Continue Reading →
Idaho rancher fined for using neurotoxin pesticide as animal poison
Rancher ends up poisoning neighbor’s dogs instead of the intended coyotes-
This has happened many times. Rancher decides to poison coyotes, hawks, eagles, etc. Doesn’t have a legal poison to do it, or the animal might be protected. Rancher figures a toxic herbicide, pesticide, or his or her own concoction will do the trick. Ends […]Continue Reading →
Mexican wolf recovery: a classic hegemonic struggle?
Great article in Demarcated Landscapes rejects the dominion of ranchers over the rest of us-
“. . . along comes this opinion piece from the Salt Lake City Tribune suggesting that if ranchers can’t make peace with the lobo, then the lobo cannot be recovered.
…in the battle between our deep-seated fears and our […]Continue Reading →
Matthew Brown wolf article reveals MSM assumptions about wolves, West.
Wolf debate hits close to home for ranchers. By Matthew Brown. Associated Press
This story has appeared under a number of headlines, but whatever it is titled, Matthew Brown’s recent piece on wolves reveals the difficulty the public has getting information because it has to cut through cultural hysteria and bad statistics on the […]Continue Reading →
Subscribe to Blog via EmailJoin 972 other subscribers
- The Logging Juggernaut June 6, 2023
- New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices June 5, 2023
- We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate. May 31, 2023
- Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges May 27, 2023
- Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green May 26, 2023
- Jeff on The Logging Juggernaut
- Charles Fox on The Logging Juggernaut
- Maximilian Werner on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Steve Kohlmann on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Kevin Bixby on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Lyn McCormick on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Jannett Heckert on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Rick Meis on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Mary on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Rambling Dave on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Ida Lupine on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Mary on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Jeff Hoffman on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges