Alberta election shocker likely good for the environment
New Democrats clear away over 40 years of Conservative rule-
Alberta has never really elected a clearly left wing party, but did so yesterday with a vengeance. Populist yes in the past, e.g, the Social Credit Party, but not a left-wing party.
Voters gave the left wing New Democrats (NDP) a large parliamentary majority (53 […]Continue Reading →
Gas prices at rock bottom. Approve Keystone for ideological reasons?
First priority for new Congress is Keystone pipeline. Why?
Here in Pocatello, Idaho, today gas prices fell to $1.99 a gallon. They have been dropping for over a hundred days in a row. In January a year ago, prices were over $3.75 a gallon.
Meanwhile, the new Republican congress is about to get underway. Their […]Continue Reading →
Falling oil prices to benefit wildlife?
Will the new, low petroleum prices cut the legs off tar sands and oil shale?
Almost every American now sees that the price of oil has plummeted. Driving by a gas station makes seeing it easy. Gasoline is below $3 a gallon, often well below. In fact crude oil prices are down by 40% since […]Continue Reading →
Orofino, Idaho. The Clearwater National Forest has denied the use of U.S. Highway 12 along the famed Lochsa River for the transport of megaloads bound for what some call the “tar sands hell” of south central Alberta.
While the bulk of this battle was successfully fought […]Continue Reading →
GOP, oil companies pressure to approve Keystone XL pipeline (update 2)
Leaks and spills of Canadian oil are happening now at a critical time-
Back in 1989, all the political gears and levers were greased with money and Astroturf public opinion to approve leasing the National Arctic Wildlilfe Refuge for Oil Drilling. Today we seem to be at a similar juncture.
In 1989 the political players […]Continue Reading →
Alberta’s tar sand pits create deer, wolves and decimate mountain caribou
Oh, the many effects of extracting the world’s dirtiest oil!
Despite the huge PR offensive by big oil, Alberta, and Canada’s right wing government, it is hard to overwhelm the public into thinking digging big holes to get out the bitumen is a great idea. Scientists, bloggers, conservation groups, and even segments of the Democratic […]Continue Reading →
Democratic critics say pipeline will not increase U.S. oil supplies-
Right now the U.S. Senate is considering a Republican effort to fast-track the Keystone XL crude oil pipeline. Democrats will filibuster. Republicans are not likely to get the 60 votes to beat the filibuster.
The pipeline is becoming a defining issue between the two parties, […]Continue Reading →
Obama sends plans for Keystone XL pipeline back to square one (Updated)
The “99%” beats international oil lobby for the time being!
The #Occupy movement — Americans figuring out they they are being pushed, stolen from, and disrespected by the top 1% is beginning to score victories, and today a big one came, although it is not yet permanent. It could evaporate after the 2012 election, but […]Continue Reading →
Anger and protest against Keystone XL pipeline keeps growing
People just won’t be quiet about this oil company slash at the planet and America-
Developing the Alberta tar sands keeps getting more and more controversial. First it was the pits and the megaloads, but now the anger has shifted to the Keystone XL pipeline that would bring the said-to-be toxic syncrude from Alberta to […]Continue Reading →
Megaloads to go on new route through northern Idaho, Montana
Highway 12 application is not abandoned, but might be dead for practical purposes-
Imperial oil, which is the Canadian version of Exxon-Mobil, has underscored what may be their abandonment of their controversial efforts to truck gigantic loads (hence “megaload”) up the scenic, narrow Clearwater and Lochsa River canyons into Montana and from there a controversial […]Continue Reading →
Subscribe to Blog via EmailJoin 973 other subscribers
- The Logging Juggernaut June 6, 2023
- New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices June 5, 2023
- We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate. May 31, 2023
- Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges May 27, 2023
- Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green May 26, 2023
- Ida Lupine on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Jeff on The Logging Juggernaut
- Charles Fox on The Logging Juggernaut
- Maximilian Werner on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Diane Martin-Brodak on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Steve Kohlmann on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Kevin Bixby on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Lyn McCormick on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Jannett Heckert on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Rick Meis on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Mary on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Rambling Dave on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Ida Lupine on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges