Defenders of Wildlife and the Center for Biological Diversity score big victory for the big cat-

This could mean that critical habitat for the jaguar will have to be established in the United States and even a reintroduction.

U.S. District Court judge orders new review for jaguar habitat. By Arthur H. Rotstein. AP in the Arizona Republic.

News release from the Center for Biological Diversity.

– – – – – –

Earlier on this blog. Whither a recovery plan for the jaguar?

6 Responses to Win on Jaguar Critical Habitat!

1. avatar Virginia says:

The spokesman said, “We’re still digesting and reviewing the judge’s decision whether to designate critical habitat or develop a recovery plan for the jaguar.” What on earth does that mean? Shouldn’t they do both? I guess I don’t understand that statement.

2. avatar paulWTAMU says:

I’ve voiced my reservations about reintroduction of the jaguar here before…but nearly anything that preserves habitat is a win in my book 🙂

3. avatar Brian Ertz says:

the jaguars might eat the cattle

4. avatar ProWolf in WY says:

This is a good thing. I would not be surprised if in the next 10 to 15 years we get a breeding population if things go well in Mexico and we don’t build the Great Wall.

5. avatar jimbob says:

The wall will be the great hindrance to any recovery, as Prowolf said. I guess we should be happy with the habitat. But if it remains “empty” it is an empty victory.

6. avatar JB says: