Former Controversial Yellowstone Backcountry Ranger Becomes Bison Rancher
Todd Wilkinson conducted a five-part interview of Bob “Action” Jackson, the former Yellowstone Park Ranger who patrolled “the Thorofare,” the most remote part of Yellowstone, which laps over into the equally remote Teton Wilderness area (managed by the Bridger-Teton National Forest). In fact, here, near the Park boundary, is the spot most remote from a […]Continue Reading →
Study reveals details about Yellowstone, Teton bats
Study reveals details about Yellowstone, Teton bats. By Mark Stark. Billings Gazette.Continue Reading →
Feral dogs attack livestock in southern Idaho
“Feral dog attacks in southern Idaho have killed or injured about 100 sheep, goats and chickens this month. . . ” Associated Press.
So far this year the 700 Idaho wolves have killed about 150 sheep. I don’t know the total for feral dogs in the whole state. This story is about one month in […]Continue Reading →
Craig's Fall May Benefit Salmon
Craig’s Fall May Benefit Salmon. By Matthew Daily. Associated Press.
Craig is the most hostile of any senator to conserving the salmon and steelhead runs, and with very little support he had held up many measures to assure these anadromous fish would continue to spawn in Idaho, migrate downstream as smolts to the ocean […]Continue Reading →
Mining law may be overhauled to protect public lands
Mining law may be overhauled to protect public lands. By Jennifer Talhelm. Associated Press.
“The Bush administration opposes the House bill, arguing that it would hurt small Western communities that depend on mining.” Even the mining industry knows change is badly needed. This Administration uses the stupidest, most primitive arguments on issue after issue. […]Continue Reading →
A tale of two fires: Was Ketchum treated better?
This is from the Magic Valley Times-News. A tale of two fires: was Ketchum treated better?
Both fires had huge amount of resources poured on them, so I think this story sets up a false comparison. On one hand in the Murphy range fire, you had powerful ranchers to whom politicians bow and scrape. […]Continue Reading →
Female grizzly killed in fight with another bear in the Lamar Valley
Usually the news is another bear killed in conflict with people, but today news of a bear/bear conflict mortality . . . Grizzly killed in bear fight. By Gazette News ServicesContinue Reading →
This is a very important report because it shows that the Interior West is being treated like a colony, a place where a dominant external political power stifles more lasting economic well being of the native population in favor of their interests. And like the colonies of old, there are plenty of local collaborators here […]Continue Reading →
"Antelope, deer decimating Wyoming's 'sagebrush sea'"
As folks know, including the government of Wyoming, which fears a sage grouse listing under the ESA, large continuous areas of sagebrush steppe are in big trouble.
It is fascinating how they blame wolves wolves for too few elk and then say there are too many antelope and deer and they need to have a […]Continue Reading →
Rocky Barker's blog: Another elk rancher angers neighbors in eastern Idaho.
Rocky Barker’s blog: Another elk rancher angers neighbors in eastern Idaho. Rocky Barker – Idaho Statesman
Update Oct 5. Elk Ranch Owner Cleared Of Wrongdoing. Local News 8. KPVI.Continue Reading →
Subscribe to Blog via EmailJoin 972 other subscribers
- The Logging Juggernaut June 6, 2023
- New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices June 5, 2023
- We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate. May 31, 2023
- Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges May 27, 2023
- Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green May 26, 2023
- Charles Fox on The Logging Juggernaut
- Maximilian Werner on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Steve Kohlmann on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Kevin Bixby on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Lyn McCormick on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Jannett Heckert on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Rick Meis on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Mary on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Rambling Dave on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Ida Lupine on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Mary on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Jeff Hoffman on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Jeff Hoffman on Senator Daines Ill-advised Forest Management Advocacy