Captive Labor (about sheepherders, at least some of them)
We hear a lot about ranchers, cattle and sheep. They are given aide and comfort by many politicians. The life of a cow hand (cowboy) and the sheepherder are ignored (except in cultural celebration).
It my writint about the subsidies given sheep operators, both direct and indirect from the government, plus the environmental subsidies (uncompensated […]Continue Reading →
Wildlife Services 2007 report on wolf control in Idaho
I hadn’t seen one of these before, except a hard copy many years ago before wolves were restored to Idaho. Then it was a general report on control of all “harmful” animals.
It’s fascinating to me. Everyone will view it differently.
My view is all this effort over such a trivial loss of livestock (except […]Continue Reading →
Idaho Fish and Game slaps at Jon Marvel. Is their account credible?
This has been in the news the last two days. I didn’t put the story up early because I knew Brian Ertz was right there when this alleged incident took place, and had all the details. He told me about it the day after the wolf meeting. At the time, I thought “end of story” […]Continue Reading →
"The Curious Legal History of the Original Outlaws"
Robert Hoskins wrote an interesting essay on the origins, evolution, and contradictions in wildlife law. He emailed it to me for consideration as a post. I think folks will find it very interesting.
“The Curious Legal History of the Original Outlaws”
by Robert Hoskins
[…]Continue Reading →
Gas wells to be drilled upset local residents of Hoback area
These natural gas wells are a movement into a new area; one that is scenic, wildlife rich and where people live. As such it is causing a lot of controversy in the area south of Jackson Hole.
Part of it is in a national forest roadless area too (Grayback IRA).
Hoback wells process frustrates […]Continue Reading →
Haydens near Mammoth
I haven’t gathered any news about Yellowstone Park wolves lately due to pressing controversies, but Kathie Lynch told me that the surviving Haydens were seen about a month ago near the high bridge east of Mammoth — “1 gray adult, 2 gray pups, and everybody’s favorite black pup.”
I’ll try to get some news soon.Continue Reading →
Public Lands Tag Sale
Diary of a Mad Voter: Joan McCarter. Public Lands Tag Sale. By Joan McCarter. New West.
While media talks about the horse race for President, it’s going to be a year of plunder on the public lands, and most it will not be covered. McCarter writes about what is going on, starting with the […]Continue Reading →
Pinedale, WY area elk avoid Game and Fish traps
Jan. 29, 2008
We’ve covered this pointless plan to trap elk and test them for brucellosis antibodies before they go onto the Muddy Creek winter feedlot. Those that test positive are killed and the rest left to act like cattle for the rest of the winter.
Regarding the slaughtered elk, most of which really […]Continue Reading →
Idaho Fish and Game news release on wolves
I just got this. “Buffaloed” posted part of it as a comment. I am putting all of it up.
The “control” of the Buffalo Ridge Pack is a total outrage and a preface to what we will see with total state control. This has been one of Idaho’s most visible wolf packs, and one that […]Continue Reading →
Groups file lawsuit against the new 10j rule
As expected, a number of conservation groups have filed a lawsuit in the Montana federal district court to set aside the new 10j rule on wolves in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming that was just published.
They are Jackson Hole Conservation Alliance, Defenders of Wildlife, Natural Resources Defense Council, Sierra Club, Center for Biological Diversity, Humane […]Continue Reading →
Subscribe to Blog via EmailJoin 972 other subscribers
- The Logging Juggernaut June 6, 2023
- New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices June 5, 2023
- We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate. May 31, 2023
- Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges May 27, 2023
- Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green May 26, 2023
- Ida Lupine on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Jeff on The Logging Juggernaut
- Charles Fox on The Logging Juggernaut
- Maximilian Werner on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Steve Kohlmann on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Kevin Bixby on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Lyn McCormick on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Jannett Heckert on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Rick Meis on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Mary on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Rambling Dave on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Ida Lupine on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Mary on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges