WWP, Advocates for the West post another victory regarding land baron grazing
Judge Winmill largely rules in favor of plaintiffs on the Nickel Creek case-
From Western Watersheds Project v. Department of Interior:
“For the reasons explained below, the Court will grant WWP’s motion in part, finding that the decision of the Interior Board of Land Appeals is arbitrary and capricious, and remanding the matter […]Continue Reading →
The battle over Mt. Jefferson in Tester’s Wilderness bill
Continuing fight by Idaho snowmobile interests to keep a small area in Montana out of Senator’s Tester’s Wilderness bill-
We have covered this battle before. Dec. 13, 2009. Idaho Senators try to pressure Tester to remove an area from his “wilderness bill”
Photo of Mt. Jefferson from the Montana side. It is the […]Continue Reading →
More about the Thanksgiving Wolf Massacre of the Basin Butte Pack
Alpha female’s body retrieved
Last week I received a fundraising email from Living With Wolves, a 501c3 non-profit group run by Jim and Jamie Dutcher, who’s mission is “dedicated to raising awareness about the social nature of wolves, their importance to healthy ecosystems, threats to their survival and the essential actions people can take to […]Continue Reading →
Looking Back Two Decades On Managing The Greater Yellowstone Ecoystem
Todd Wilkinson remembers how far we’ve come . . . not all that far-
Looking Back Two Decades On Managing The Greater Yellowstone Ecoystem. By Todd Wilkinson. National Parks Traveler.
I was at that meeting in Jackson in 1983 to form the Greater Yellowstone Coalition. It is such a struggle against the entrenched bureaucracy […]Continue Reading →
Detailed summary of the Montana wolf hunt
Here is a detailed report. Will Idaho do the same?
Montana FWP just released a detailed summary of their wolf hunt with a lot of numeric data — good. I hope Idaho has a report with this much information, but it probably won’t come until June when it might be too late to be used […]Continue Reading →
Cougar shot after killing Utah family's dog
This should so much not be news!
Park City, Utah (up in the mountains). Cougar shot after killing Utah family’s dog. AP.
This event is so common. People build in cougar habitat and stock their yards with tasty morsels.
There is a similar story in the Bitterroot Valley […]Continue Reading →
North America's biggest freshwater fish slips toward extinction
Harmed by the effects of the Libby Dam, the Kootenai River sturgeon haven’t spawned for 35 years now-
North America’s biggest fish slips toward extinction. By Matthew Brown. Associated Press.
Controversial roundup of wild horses underway
BLM roundup of wild horses in Nevada is heated-
Los Angeles Times on the Nevada “roundup”
My view on wild or “feral” horses and burros is that they are non-natives species that, like cattle, damage the range and harm native wildlife. The BLM’s preoccupation with them, rather than […]Continue Reading →
Mexican wolves have as bad a year in '09 as in '08
Hope for the future with plans to reduce “controls” for livestock depredations?
High mortality for the small population of Mexican wolves continued this year with the population again ending at about 50 wolves. Under new management plans it is hoped that government wolf removal for killing livestock will abate.
Northern Rockies wolf population has stopped growing
Increased mortality brings an end to wolf population growth at about 1650 wolves-
Sean Ellis of the Idaho State Journal deserves some credit for digging out the information.
Wolves resilient: Total number in region stable despite hunting. By Sean Ellis.
Now perhaps all sides should just call it even? Doesn’t look like it.Continue Reading →
Subscribe to Blog via EmailJoin 973 other subscribers
- The Logging Juggernaut June 6, 2023
- New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices June 5, 2023
- We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate. May 31, 2023
- Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges May 27, 2023
- Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green May 26, 2023
- Ida Lupine on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Jeff on The Logging Juggernaut
- Charles Fox on The Logging Juggernaut
- Maximilian Werner on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Diane Martin-Brodak on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Steve Kohlmann on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Kevin Bixby on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Lyn McCormick on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Jannett Heckert on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Rick Meis on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Mary on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Rambling Dave on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Ida Lupine on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges