Loss on helicopters in Wilderness
Judges buys Idaho Fish and Game argument that agency only wants valuable data-
It’s a high bar to get a judge to rule against an agency that claims expertise and say “this is ridiculous.” That is my first take.
I think, the U.S. Forest Service needs to be told to revise their general regulations for […]Continue Reading →
Mexico to place 5 wolves near AZ
REINTRODUCTION PLANNED AS EARLY AS THIS MONTH
This story appeared last week while I was gone and there was a little discussion about it on the open thread but I think it deserves its own thread.
The significance of this story is not so much that wolves are being released into the wild but that […]Continue Reading →
Idaho Wolf Management update Jan. 2010
This is the official state report on wolf management for January-
This report has a fair amount of news — numbers for 2009, etc. It is the first time I have seen any real description of their Lolo wolf/elk study with numbers and a bit about methods. I think it’s worthwhile read.Continue Reading →
Judge finds fault with federal salmon plan
Are we one step closer to removal of the Snake River Dams?
Judge finds fault with federal salmon plan. Conservation groups optimistic about order. By Jon Duval. Idaho Mountain Express.
These dams are on the lower Snake River. That’s in the state of Washington, but they greatly harm salmon and steelhead migration to and […]Continue Reading →
She Runs With The Wolves
Todd Wilkinson profiles Laurie Lyman-
Those of you who know Kathie Lynch will probably know Laurie Lyman, and vice versa. Lyman has amazing talent for spotting wolves and getting that data.
She Runs With The Wolves. A tale of devotion from Yellowstone National Park. By Todd Wilkinson.Continue Reading →
Cows or Condos, a false choice
George Wuerthner updates his arguments about need to have cows to prevent sprawl-
A long time ago I tended to be the kind of conservationist who grudgingly thought we had to give all kinds of perks to livestock interests so they wouldn’t sell and subdivide the West. I was becoming disillusioned with the results of […]Continue Reading →
Oral Arguments on Wilderness/Wolf litigation heard today
“Wilderness Wolf Watchers” Coalition seeks an Injunction/Temporary Restraining Order preventing the landing of helicopters
Chief District Judge B. Lynn Winmill is set to hear oral arguments on the Frank Church Wilderness/Helicopter Landing litigation this afternoon. The “Wilderness Wolf Watchers” Coalition seeks an Injunction/Temporary Restraining Order preventing the landing of helicopters in the Frank Church […]Continue Reading →
Update on the weight of wolves shot in Idaho hunt
Latest data. Average female 86 lbs. Average male 101 lbs-
Earlier I reported data from the Fish and Game Comission meeting a couple weeks ago with the largest Idaho wolf at 109 pounds. One in extreme Northern Idaho was 130 pounds. The Spokesman Review has a new article on this.Continue Reading →
Wolves back to Yellowstone and changes it made
After 15 years, a look at the effects-
This interesting article appeared in print maybe 5 days ago. I’m glad they put it online.
After 15 years. By Ben Pierce. Bozeman Chronicle OutThere EditorContinue Reading →
Idaho House Concurrent Resolution 43 . . . reduce wolves to 150
How many times did we say Idaho Fish and Game’s 500 wolves plan was meaningless in the face of the legislature?
House Concurrent Resolution 43, now before the Idaho Legislature says that “existing conditions relating to wolves define an emergency condition for all rural Idahoans and, in the face of this emergency, the Legislature encourages […]Continue Reading →
Subscribe to Blog via EmailJoin 973 other subscribers
- The Logging Juggernaut June 6, 2023
- New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices June 5, 2023
- We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate. May 31, 2023
- Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges May 27, 2023
- Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green May 26, 2023
- Ida Lupine on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Jeff on The Logging Juggernaut
- Charles Fox on The Logging Juggernaut
- Maximilian Werner on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Diane Martin-Brodak on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Steve Kohlmann on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Kevin Bixby on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Lyn McCormick on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Jannett Heckert on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Rick Meis on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Mary on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Rambling Dave on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Ida Lupine on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges