Blaming wolves for poor elk management?
The US Fish and Wildlife Service has issued an Environmental Assessment for Montana Fish Wildlife and Park’s wolf reduction proposal for the Bitterroot hunting district HD250 just southeast of Hamilton, Montana. In the proposal to kill all but 12 wolves in the district, they claim that wolves are responsible […]Continue Reading →
Buffalo Field Campaign: On-the-ground activism
Here are a couple of articles about the Buffalo Field Campaign and how they, and other groups are funded. Contrary to popular belief BFC’s top paid people don’t make much money (trust me, I know this because I am on their Board of Directors). BFC is also very efficient with its money and has very […]Continue Reading →
Oil industry demand for more drilling permits to lower oil prices is phoney
The argument that more drilling, fewer regulations will bring down oil price spikes is a tired old story-
The oil industry recycles it for every international crisis, nevertheless; and the media take it seriously (sort of). Once again they are exposed, although simple logic tells us that a strategy that takes years to implement will […]Continue Reading →
Montana Wildlife Federation is going to sue over the oil megaloads
Idaho landowners and conservationists to get help from Montana allies-
National Wildlife Federation Prepared to Sue Montana Over Mega-loads. By George Prentice. Boise Weekly.
Exxon is now getting ready to test taking the megaloads up Highway 12 and through Montana. There could be as many as 200 gigantic loads from Exxon sent to […]Continue Reading →
Have you come across any interesting Wildlife News? March 28, 2011
Note that this replaces the 26th edition. That edition will now move slowly into the depths of the blog.
Please don’t post entire articles here, just the link, title and your comments about the article. Most of these violate copyright law. They also take up too much space.Continue Reading →
Dozens protest wolves outside Missoula court hearing
Numbers were a big anti-wolf disappointment-
Disappointing small number of anti-wolf protesters show up at Molloy hearing. Missoulian. By Ken Briggeman.Continue Reading →
Poll Finds Strong Public Support for Bison Restoration in Montana
In February the National Wildlife Federation conducted a poll of 400 Montana voters and found that they are strongly in support of bison recovery in Montana. Particularly, 70% say they support recovery in areas such as the Spotted Dog WMA near Deer Lodge and the Charles M. Russell National Wildlife Refuge which covers 1.1 million acres in central […]Continue Reading →
Judge asked to lift federal protections on wolves
Judge Molloy will rule “soon” on whether to accept the settlement.
As described in the Missoulian article, there are three ways this could go. One, he could say that the settlement has no value. Two, he could recommend to the 9th Circuit that they accept the settlement. Three, he could say it needed more discussion […]Continue Reading →
Wolf settlement hearing today.
The hearing on the “wolf settlement” begins in just a few minutes. I won’t guess what the outcome will be but I think the case against the settlement is pretty strong. It also appears that the backlash against the settling parties has been strong among wolf supporters with many stating that they have removed their […]Continue Reading →
Cows, What a many Splendored Thing
Last week I went out with a co-worker to check out what was going on in the Jarbidge Field Office where Western Watersheds Project has won a court victory that ends corporate ranching on 450,000 acres of public land. When we arrived we found cattle on several of the allotments even though the injunction […]Continue Reading →
Subscribe to Blog via EmailJoin 970 other subscribers
- We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate. May 31, 2023
- Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges May 27, 2023
- Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green May 26, 2023
- Senator Daines Ill-advised Forest Management Advocacy May 25, 2023
- Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves May 21, 2023
- Kevin Bixby on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Lyn McCormick on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Jannett Heckert on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Rick Meis on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Mary on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Rambling Dave on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Ida Lupine on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Mary on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Jeff Hoffman on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Jeff Hoffman on Senator Daines Ill-advised Forest Management Advocacy
- laurie on Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green
- Ida Lupine on Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green
- Jeff Hoffman on Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green
- Ida Lupine on Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green