The Wildlife News is trying something new. We read a number of interesting, wildlife related news stories each day that we don’t have time to comment on. Here is a list of those we found interesting. Some of them may come up as a separate post later.
Misfires | News | Missoula Independent.
An interesting story about the startling increase in poaching incidents in Montana. There are a few anecdotes about people protecting goose decoys, reporting wrapped, frozen turkeys as poaching incidents, and multiple incidents of hunters shooting deer and elk decoys.
Gregoire as interior secretary in Obama’s second term? | Strange Bedfellows — Politics News – seattlepi.com.
By no means is this confirmation that Ken Salazar is going to be replaced by Washington State Governor Christine Gregiore, but it sounds likely.
U.S. scales back planned habitat protection for rare reindeer | Reuters.
USFWS caves to political concerns and reduces critical habitat area for one of the most imperiled mammals in North America, the woodland caribou.
Minnesota’s late-season wolf kill at 30 | StarTribune.com.
Minnesota wolf hunt update.
Fairbanks Daily News-Miner – Fewer wolves counted in Denali National Park.
Hunters and trappers are killing a lot of wolves that spend time in Denali National Park. Wolf advocates call for a buffer zone around the Park.
Hunters Kill Grizzly Bear In Grand Teton National Park, Claim Self-Defense | National Parks Traveler.
This incident is being investigated.
Native Fish Benefit From Decade of Dogged Advocacy on Oregon’s John Day River.
Steelhead are now protected from grazing impacts in Oregon.
U.N. Agency Says 2012 Ranks Among Hottest Years – NYTimes.com.
It’s getting hotter.
Federal Wildlife Services makes a killing in animal-control business – Wildlife investigation – The Sacramento Bee.
USDA Wildlife Services competes with private businesses.
Reform urged for Wildlife Services – Wildlife investigation – The Sacramento Bee.
Wildlife advocates and private industry want reform of rogue federal agency.
Watch out for your dogs during wolf trapping season – Letter to the Editor- Idaho County Free Press – Grangeville, Idaho.
A man’s dog caught in a wolf trap placed just one foot from a road near Grangeville, Idaho
Elk Management Proposals Near Yellowstone National Park Include Reducing Numbers of Elk … and Wolves | National Parks Traveler.
Montana Citizens Working Group wants less wildlife and more cattle.
Ken Cole is a 5th generation Idahoan, an avid fly fisherman, wildlife enthusiast, and photographer. He is the interim Idaho Director for Western Watersheds Project. We do not accept unsolicited “guest” authors or advertising.
Subscribe to Blog via EmailJoin 973 other subscribers
- The Logging Juggernaut June 6, 2023
- New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices June 5, 2023
- We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate. May 31, 2023
- Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges May 27, 2023
- Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green May 26, 2023
- Ida Lupine on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Jeff on The Logging Juggernaut
- Charles Fox on The Logging Juggernaut
- Maximilian Werner on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Diane Martin-Brodak on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Steve Kohlmann on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Kevin Bixby on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Lyn McCormick on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Jannett Heckert on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Rick Meis on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Mary on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Rambling Dave on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Ida Lupine on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges