MOJO article on Gallatin Range and Wilderness
Gallatin Range Deserves Wilderness Protection: An Ecologist’s Op Ed
GEORGE WUERTHNER SAYS ONE OF GREATER YELLOWSTONE’S MOST IMPORTANT WILDLIFE AREAS IS UNPROTECTED
Over the last 40-some years I’ve visited dozens of federal Wilderness areas and probably twice as many more landscapes in the American West classified as “wilderness study areas.” I’ve seen them as a hiker, angler, backcountry ranger, firefighter, father, husband, ecologist with a college degree, photographer and student of history.
“Biologically the massif of the Gallatins and its foothills represent one of the more diverse and important areas in the entire ecosystem.”
“Just as WSAs themselves were not safeguarded from illegal trespass and the Forest Service in parts of the West has only enforced the law when compelled to do in court by environmentalists, we have no assurance that “wildlife management areas” (WMAs) will fare any better.”
EDITOR’S NOTE: George Wuerthner shared the following reference points which he says speak to the effects of outdoor recreation on wildlife. We are sharing it verbatim as he wrote it.
George Wuerthner has spent a lifetime doing many things in the wild backcountry of America and advocating for its protection. A prolific writer, gifted photographer, seasonal ranger and conservationist, he is the author of more than 30 books. He was enlisted by the late Doug Tompkins and his wife, Kris, through their Foundation For Deep Ecology, to assemble a series of books on human forces impacting wildlands including livestock grazing, industrial logging, suppression of wildfire, and the growth of motorized “thrillcraft.”
George Wuerthner is an ecologist and former hunting guide with a degree in wildlife biology
One Response to MOJO article on Gallatin Range and Wilderness
Subscribe to Blog via EmailJoin 973 other subscribers
- The Logging Juggernaut June 6, 2023
- New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices June 5, 2023
- We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate. May 31, 2023
- Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges May 27, 2023
- Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green May 26, 2023
- Ida Lupine on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Jeff on The Logging Juggernaut
- Charles Fox on The Logging Juggernaut
- Maximilian Werner on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Diane Martin-Brodak on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Steve Kohlmann on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Kevin Bixby on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Lyn McCormick on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Jannett Heckert on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Rick Meis on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Mary on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Rambling Dave on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Ida Lupine on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
Sounds good to me, although I suspect this administration is not interested any more wilderness areas.