The future of the Nez Perce-Clearwater National Forests
The Forest Service is currently seeking public comments regarding the development of alternatives for the Forest Plan Revision on the Nez Perce-Clearwater National Forests in North Central Idaho. The deadline is February 28. The new forest plan will guide management direction over the next 10 – 30 years. A Draft Environmental Impact […]Continue Reading →
See the film that Dr. Jane Goodall wants millions of Americans to see
Award-winning documentary exposing Wildlife Services’ war on wildlife
coming to four different communities in Idaho
Moscow- An award-winning wildlife documentary that Jane Goodall wants millions of people to see is coming to Idaho. Predator Defense’s film, EXPOSED: USDA’s Secret War on Wildlife, features three former […]Continue Reading →
Trapping regulations open to public comment in Idaho.
Please comment on beaver trapping-
Mike Settel in Pocatello asked us to post an alert to The Wildlife News regarding beaver trapping.
The Idaho Department of Fish and Game is setting trapping regulations for beaver and other species throughout the state.
Beaver play a very important role in the ecosystem. Their numbers are greatly depleted […]Continue Reading →
Yellowstone’s annual “Vital Signs,” “Wolf report,” and “Bird report” are now available
Valuable wildlife reports can be downloaded by the public-
While it might seem — it might be true — that most politicians and many of the public get all their knowledge about Yellowstone from “urban” legends, interest groups, and lobbyists, there is a segment that read scientific reports and, especially the summaries of naturalist’s observations, […]Continue Reading →
Beaver restoration would reduce wildfires
More effective and less expensive than logging, beaver also provide fish, wildlife and flood control benefits-
After almost every large wildfire or fires that do significant damage to structures, people ask for proactive measures. The desire for this is rational. It needs no explanation.
Officeholders usually respond, verbally at least. Politicians’ solutions, however, are often […]Continue Reading →
Beavers play an important role in North America and its ecology. Beaver dams provide enormous benefits for all kinds of wildlife. In the West, they are very beneficial to trout by providing slower water refuges where the fish can grow to larger sizes, thus producing more eggs and offspring. The riparian vegetation that grows […]Continue Reading →
Beaver in our Midst
A guest article by Mike Settell
On June 26th, 2010, I inspected the South Fork of Mink Creek to document conditions of the Box Canyon road culvert that was being plugged by beaver. Like many roads throughout the west, the South Fork Road parallels the creek and so problems with the road-creek interface are, at best, […]Continue Reading →
World's biggest beaver dam discovered in northern Canada
The dam is over a half mile long-
World’s biggest beaver dam discovered in northern Canada. by Michel Comte and Jacques Lemieux. Yahoo News.
Regarding beaver locally (near Pocatello, ID), today I went up to check on the big beaver ponds below Scout Mountain. I found some ATV vandal today or yesterday had ridden […]Continue Reading →
Scientists seek proof of N. Cascades grizzlies
Reported sightings in the Cascades of Washington State lead to funding to search for grizzlies.
There have been reported sightings of grizzly bears for many years in the Cascades of Washington but very little has been confirmed. As the article states, grizzly bears don’t usually disperse long distances like wolves do so colonizing new areas […]Continue Reading →
Utah wildlife: Leave it to the beavers
Utah gets a beaver management plan-
Restoring beaver to a creek changes just about everything, mostly for the good, especially if there are no buildings or needed roads near the creek.
Story on Utah’s first beaver management plan. Plan looks to use the large rodents as a watershed restoration tool. By Brett Prettyman. The […]Continue Reading →
Subscribe to Blog via EmailJoin 972 other subscribers
- The Logging Juggernaut June 6, 2023
- New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices June 5, 2023
- We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate. May 31, 2023
- Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges May 27, 2023
- Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green May 26, 2023
- Ida Lupine on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Jeff on The Logging Juggernaut
- Charles Fox on The Logging Juggernaut
- Maximilian Werner on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Steve Kohlmann on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Kevin Bixby on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Lyn McCormick on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Jannett Heckert on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Rick Meis on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Mary on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Rambling Dave on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Ida Lupine on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Mary on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges