What’s Wrong With Biomass Burning? Everything.
The McNeil Biomass Burner in Burlington Vermont, is the state’s single source of air pollution. Photo George Wuerthner
Presently around the West, the Forest Service, timber advocates, and far too many conservation organizations are promoting biofuels and biomass energy as “Green Energy.” The FS and its allies want to cut more wood (which […]Continue Reading →
News about fracking keeps getting worse. Now it is air pollution
Earthquakes, water pollution, political pollution, and now toxic chemicals in the air near fracking wells-
It seems every day the news about the negative side effects of fracking gets worse (and the TV ads run by the American Petroleum Institute and others more manipulative). Aside from the methane in the natural gas, a number of […]Continue Reading →
The biggest gas drilling plan yet for Green River Basin
Encana could add 3,500 gas wells SW of Pinedale, WY-
Already reeling from the massive Jonah gas field, now a new field covering 4 times as much area is planned. The “Normally Pressured Lance” natural gas field” (Son of Jonah, as some call it) comes at a time when the formerly pristine air of the […]Continue Reading →
Northern Utah, the land of filthy air
Worst in the country in the winter-
“Oh ye mountains high and the clear blue sky . . .” These are words from a Mormon hymn that isn’t sung in church much anymore. I don’t know the reason, but it is appropriate because northern Utah has slowly developed the dirtiest air the country in the […]Continue Reading →
In Pinedale, Wyo., Residents Adjust to Air Pollution
Just a generation ago . . . cleanest air the West set against the highest mountains in Wyoming-
It was wonderful to backpack, fish, and climb in the Wind River Mountains in the day when they did not overlook a miasma of gas field air pollution.
Utah governor to sign Snake Valley water pact with Nevada
Does he care that it will turn the Nevada/Utah border into a dustbowl?
Guv ready to make Snake Valley water deal with Nevada. By Brandon Loomis. The Salt Lake Tribune
Don’t sign, governor. Snake Valley water pact needs work. Salt Lake Tribune Editorial.
We hoped the recent court loss by the Southern Nevada […]Continue Reading →
Utah's dirty air problem is growing
Filthy winter air gets worse. Developments in Nevada could compound problem-
Utah’s air quality overall is relatively good. The problem is that it is bad, has been for a long time, and is getting worse where most of the people live — the Wasatch Front and Cache Valley.
Utah’s dirty air in population centers goes […]Continue Reading →
DEQ issues ozone alert for Pinedale, WY
Gas development makes small rural town and surrounding area full of unhealthy air-
DEQ issues ozone alert for Pinedale. By Jeff Gearino. Casper Star Tribune.Continue Reading →
Latest Bush outrage: Ease up controlling airborne lead
EPA, with White House nudge, eases rule on lead emissions. By Michael Hawthorne. LA Times.Continue Reading →
Upper Green River Valley air pollution blamed on drilling industry
Here is more on the striking decline in air quality in the Pinedale, Wyoming area.
Pollution blamed on drilling industry. Associated Press
More on May 12. Once-idyllic Pinedale is ground zero in debate over energy quest, quality of life
By Brandon Griggs. The Salt Lake Tribune
Subscribe to Blog via EmailJoin 972 other subscribers
- The Logging Juggernaut June 6, 2023
- New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices June 5, 2023
- We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate. May 31, 2023
- Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges May 27, 2023
- Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green May 26, 2023
- Ida Lupine on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Jeff on The Logging Juggernaut
- Charles Fox on The Logging Juggernaut
- Maximilian Werner on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Steve Kohlmann on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Kevin Bixby on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Lyn McCormick on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Jannett Heckert on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Rick Meis on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Mary on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Rambling Dave on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Ida Lupine on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Mary on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges