Indian Culpability in Bison Demise
Bison herd. Photo George Wuerthner
Many authors today suggest that Indigenous people somehow behaved differently from other humans, particularly western culture that now dominates the globe in their relationship and exploitation of natural lands.
The general theme is that while the human influence pre-European contact was significant, human exploitation was tempered […]Continue Reading →
Endangered Species Act Protection Sought for the Imperiled Yellowstone Bison
MONTANA: Western Watersheds Project and Buffalo Field Campaign petitioned the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) today to list the Yellowstone bison under the Endangered Species Act. Yellowstone bison are found primarily in Yellowstone National Park and migrate into the jurisdictions of Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming where the wildlife species is forcibly removed or destroyed […]Continue Reading →
An Open Letter to Tribal Leaders and the American People.
Rosalie Little Thunder, Pte Oyate
Darrell Geist, Buffalo Field Campaign
We write to you still in the aftershock of the unconscionable tribal participation in the most recent government slaughter of wild buffalo in Yellowstone National Park and Montana. We feel compelled to share our insight on how this corrosive process began.
In the […]Continue Reading →
Legislative effort in Montana to repeal all free roaming bison protection
HB249 would allow Montana landowners to kill bison for any reason-
2012, and it looks like 2013, is shaping up to be another year of livestock interests trying to repeal a generation or two of progress in the management of wildlife.
Alan Doane, a Montana Republican legislator, has a bill that would allow landowners to […]Continue Reading →
New research indicates hybrid bison may not be as fit as those without cattle genes
With the exception of the Yellowstone population and a few other small herds of bison which came from Yellowstone, virtually all of the buffalo in in the U.S. are hybrids with cattle genes. The amount of genetic material from cattle may be small but there has been debate about whether it can affect the fitness […]Continue Reading →
In today’s Buffalo Field Campaign Update from the Field the depths that Montana’s livestock barons will stoop to protect livestock interests is revealed. Because the Montana Department of Livestock is limited by a temporary restraining order issued on Monday by a federal judge, they have decided to explicitly violate the property rights of a […]Continue Reading →
Lawsuit tries to permanently derail plan to let bison use Gardiner Basin in the winter.
Early last spring bison were suddenly allowed to use the Gardiner Basin just north of Yellowstone Park for the first time in over a generation. State, federal and tribal officials signed what was to be a landmark agreement to let […]Continue Reading →
Changes in Brucellosis Rules Remove Some Leverage from the Montana Livestock Industry
Changes help livestock industry overall but does it change much on the ground for wildlife?
Last week it was announced that another herd of cattle had likely become infected with brucellosis. Six cattle from a herd in Park County, Montana tested positive for exposure and have been quarantined to await test results to confirm […]Continue Reading →
WWP and BFC file to intervene in bison lawsuit
This week Western Watersheds Project and Buffalo Field Campaign filed to intervene in the lawsuit brought by Park County and the Park County Stockgrowers Association which oppose the state plan which would allow bison to use the Gardiner Basin south of Yankee Jim Canyon for part of the winter without being constantly hazed, captured, and […]Continue Reading →
Wild American Bison “Stolen” From Yellowstone National Park
Here is a news release from the Buffalo Field Campaign. Don’t know if the bison were exactly stolen, but there was no public comment when it looks like they should have had one, and whole idea of birth control for bison or any wildlife is controversial.
THREATENED WITH POPULATION CONTROL
USDA-APHIS Intends […]
Subscribe to Blog via EmailJoin 972 other subscribers
- The Logging Juggernaut June 6, 2023
- New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices June 5, 2023
- We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate. May 31, 2023
- Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges May 27, 2023
- Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green May 26, 2023
- Ida Lupine on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Jeff on The Logging Juggernaut
- Charles Fox on The Logging Juggernaut
- Maximilian Werner on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Steve Kohlmann on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Kevin Bixby on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Lyn McCormick on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Jannett Heckert on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Rick Meis on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Mary on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Rambling Dave on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Ida Lupine on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Mary on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges