Druids are returning more and more to their old haunts. Sloughs are wary.
While they are often still out of sight up in the Lamar River, upstream from Lamar Valley, the 15-member Druid Pack appears to be reclaiming their old territory after they were marginalized in recent years by the surging Slough Creek Pack.
Today the third encounter of the year between the two pack was inferred, although […]Continue Reading →
What Idaho Fish and Game says about the hunting season
Idaho Fish and Game put out the following news release today about the hunting season. It was written by a wildlife officer from Grangeville. That’s in North Central Idaho (Clearwater River area). It’s not hard data, rather impressionistic.
I wonder why the officer comments on the effects of wolves on elk and moose hunting, but not deer hunting because there are lots of white-tailed deer in the area and the wolves take them too, in some areas more than elk? Anyway here it is . . .Continue Reading →
Buffalo Field Campaign says "no habitat, no hunt" as second Montana bison hunt begins.
Montana’s second bison hunt began today. I agree with the Buffalo Field Campaign and I oppose it, not because I’m against hunting bison but because Montana’s government will not provide the bison with any habitat. They shoot bison that leave Yellowstone Park. Essentially they are leeching off the American public.
My personal view is that they should let the bison set up residence outside the Park. Then there would be more bison, including more bison for people to see, more bison to hunt, and more carcasses for grizzly bears, etc. The hunt is popular with hunters, if it wasn’t for bad Montana politics, letting the bison roam would be a nobrainer.
Today’s BFC News Release follows.Continue Reading →
The Colorado Cutthroat trout to be reviewed for ESA listing
The Colorado Cutthroat trout has been in decline (along with most sub-species of the cutthroat). As is the usual case, decline of habitat and competition from non-native fish are the causes of likely decline.
Like most potential listings nowadays, it required a federal judge to tell the USFWS to do its job and do a […]Continue Reading →
Harvey Manning, megahiker of Pacific Northwest dies.
I’ve written three hiking guides. It was a lot of hiking/backpacking. The walking and writing record of Harvey Manning is beyond my ability to comprehend. But Manning was more than an author of hiking guides, his record in conservation work is impressive too.Continue Reading →
Greater Yellowstone grizzly bears soon to be delisted
The grizzly bear recovery in the Greater Yellowstone has been a great success, but most activists I know fear for its long run future, not because it isn’t really recovered, but because every predictable trend about the grizzly bear’s habitat points downward. In addition, habitat corridors allowing dispersal to central Idaho and Northern Montana have […]Continue Reading →
Subscribe to Blog via EmailJoin 970 other subscribers
- The Logging Juggernaut June 6, 2023
- New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices June 5, 2023
- We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate. May 31, 2023
- Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges May 27, 2023
- Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green May 26, 2023
- Charles Fox on The Logging Juggernaut
- Maximilian Werner on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Steve Kohlmann on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Kevin Bixby on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Lyn McCormick on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Jannett Heckert on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Rick Meis on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Mary on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Rambling Dave on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Ida Lupine on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Mary on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Jeff Hoffman on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Jeff Hoffman on Senator Daines Ill-advised Forest Management Advocacy