Who to contact regarding the bison slaughter
This info came today from the Buffalo Field Campaign.
HERE’S WHAT YOU CAN DO:
PLEASE CONTACT these three decision-makers TODAY demanding that they cease plans to capture and slaughter the buffalo who are trying to live wild and free! Contact each by phone, fax, and email and let’s not let them forget that the world is watching!
* MONTANA GOVERNOR BRIAN SCHWEITZER: Demand that Schweitzer keep his campaign promise to provide tolerance for bison in Montana.
(406) 444-3111 (phone)
(406) 444-5529 (fax)
* MONTANA ACTING STATE VET JEANNE RANKIN: Urge her to withdraw her decision to slaughter Yellowstone bison calves and family groups. Remind her you are boycotting beef and your friends are joining you!
(406) 444-1895 (phone)
(800) 523-3162 (phone)
(406) 444-1929 (fax)
* YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK SUPERINTENDENT SUZANNE LEWIS: Ask her if it’s really worth the lives of 300 wild buffalo, including newborn calves, to have Montana ship them to slaughter rather than deeper into the Park.
(307) 344-2002 (phone)
(307) 344-2005 (fax)
firstname.lastname@example.org OR email@example.com (email)
It’s crucial that we flood these offices today! Capture could begin as soon as Thursday, with transport to slaughter beginning Friday. Read BFC’s press release from Tuesday at:
Dr. Ralph Maughan is professor emeritus of political science at Idaho State University. He was a Western Watersheds Project Board Member off and on for many years, and was also its President for several years. For a long time he produced Ralph Maughan's Wolf Report. He was a founder of the Greater Yellowstone Coalition. He and Jackie Johnson Maughan wrote three editions of "Hiking Idaho." He also wrote "Beyond the Tetons" and "Backpacking Wyoming's Teton and Washakie Wilderness." He created and is the administrator of The Wildlife News.
13 Responses to Who to contact regarding the bison slaughter
Subscribe to Blog via EmailJoin 972 other subscribers
- The Logging Juggernaut June 6, 2023
- New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices June 5, 2023
- We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate. May 31, 2023
- Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges May 27, 2023
- Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green May 26, 2023
- Charles Fox on The Logging Juggernaut
- Maximilian Werner on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Steve Kohlmann on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Kevin Bixby on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Lyn McCormick on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Jannett Heckert on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Rick Meis on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Mary on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Rambling Dave on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Ida Lupine on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Mary on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Jeff Hoffman on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Jeff Hoffman on Senator Daines Ill-advised Forest Management Advocacy
What about a proposal to ship the officials wasting our tax-$ to slaughter? Maybe that would stop them from listening to backward thinking folks.
Dear Governor Schweitzer:
I saw you on television yesterday, sitting in the meeting with the Board of Livestock, deciding that 300 Yellowstone bison (including calves) should die based on a lie and a fraud. Where was the attention-grabbing bravado you’ve displayed on other occasions? Where was the brash proclamation, “Gosh darn it, I’m from Montana, and in Montana, we stand up for what’s right!”? Governor, are you forsaking your role as a political maverick, or just lying low in this instance for political convenience? Are you merely a puppet of the Montana livestock industry, your strings pulled by your party chairman (a rancher who considers Yellowstone nothing more than “a large ranch”)? The citizens of Montana are watching, and we’ll determine the answers to these questions based on your actions going forward. Your actions thus far have been a shameful display of political expedience at the expense of truth, justice, and compassion.
When I voted for you and your bold talk of “greater tolerance” for Yellowstone bison, who knew the day would come when I would be ashamed to call myself a Montana Democrat–just like Brian Schweitzer? I was duped.
The Governor left before the meeting was over and before the decision was made to kill the bison. He called the emergency meeting and didn’t even wait for any conclusions.
As urged, I called today, May 30th, to the three entities suggested and left messages, protesting the slaughter of bison. I doubt the Montana Gov, Yellowstone Park Superintentant or Mt “acting state vet” ( the last two are women) give a rats ass about the bison. Rather, they have big paid jobs and it makes no difference rather they protect or kill wildlife.
I wrote all three but separately. I guess I’ll call the numbers now as well.
I just wanted to say I called today. I will also back it up with email
We should all file complaints with the American Veterinary Medical Association against Dr. Rankin. How can she call herself a vet? I sent her a copy of the vet’s oath and urged her to re-read it along with my letter asking her to reconsider her decision to kill these bison.
“Being admitted to the profession of veterinary medicine, I solemnly swear to use my scientific knowledge and skills for the benefit of society through the protection of animal health, the relief of animal suffering, the conservation of animal resources, the promotion of public health, and the advancement of medical knowledge.
I will practice my profession conscientiously, with dignity, and in keeping with the principles of veterinary medical ethics.
I accept as a lifelong obligation the continual improvement of my professional knowledge and competence.”
Dear Buffalo Friends,
Your calls, emails and faxes to decision-makers are making a
difference! The buffalo are not going to be killed tomorrow. The
agencies are responding to you and have made the decision to give the
buffalo a reprieve until Monday.
Now is the time to KEEP THE PRESSURE ON!
The decision buys the buffalo a little time, so we need to keep the
pressure on and let everyone we know know what is happening and
encourage them to take action for the buffalo. It is making a
difference. There is still time to save these buffalo from
Montana’s death sentence.
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
* Share this link with your friends, colleagues, web sites, email
lists, any and everyone you can think of:
This page contains the BFC Emergency Alert with decision-maker
contacts, a beautiful photo gallery of the baby buffalo and their
families who are in danger now, recent video footage of the buffalo
moms and babies, and a BFC press release.
* The Great Falls Tribune is currently holding an online poll in
which they ask, “Do you agree with the decision to slaughter 300
bison and their calves?” Please cast your vote today!
We will have more information to share in tomorrow’s Update from the
Field. Thank you for being a friend to the last wild buffalo. Stay
strong and KEEP THE PRESSURE ON!
Buffalo Field Campaign
I got them all
Why do Democrats hate bison?
because they take their base for granted…
Monte–just make sure you understand that we’re talking about MONTANA Democrats who serve as a$$-ki$$ers to the livestock industry–not ALL Democrats! (And not all Montana Democrats, either!) I have, in the past, suggested that the Democratic party change its symbol from the donkey to the American bison but–at least here in Montana–the ass might be most appropriate, after all.