Groups says YNP snowmobile use this winter is still possible
By Ralph Maughan On October 2, 2008 · 1 Comment · In Politics, Yellowstone National Park
Fallout from the victory over snowmobiles-
Groups: Snowmobile use plan still possible. Yellowstone officials say they have no authority to allow machines this year. By Corey Hatch. Jackson Holes News and Guide.
Tagged with: Judge Emmet Sullivan • Yellowstone snowmobiles
Dr. Ralph Maughan is professor emeritus of political science at Idaho State University. He was a Western Watersheds Project Board Member off and on for many years, and was also its President for several years. For a long time he produced Ralph Maughan's Wolf Report. He was a founder of the Greater Yellowstone Coalition. He and Jackie Johnson Maughan wrote three editions of "Hiking Idaho." He also wrote "Beyond the Tetons" and "Backpacking Wyoming's Teton and Washakie Wilderness." He created and is the administrator of The Wildlife News.
One Response to Groups says YNP snowmobile use this winter is still possible
Subscribe to Blog via EmailJoin 972 other subscribers
- The Logging Juggernaut June 6, 2023
- New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices June 5, 2023
- We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate. May 31, 2023
- Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges May 27, 2023
- Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green May 26, 2023
- Ida Lupine on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Jeff on The Logging Juggernaut
- Charles Fox on The Logging Juggernaut
- Maximilian Werner on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Steve Kohlmann on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Kevin Bixby on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Lyn McCormick on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Jannett Heckert on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Rick Meis on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Mary on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Rambling Dave on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Ida Lupine on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Mary on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
The NPS has dim-witted but dedicated bureaucrats. Dedicated to snowmobiling, that is. For years, the public, science, and the courts have said loud and clear: no snowmobiles in Yellowstone. So NPS bureaucrats respond to the latest “no snowmobile” legal ruling by writing yet another “plan” that will maintain the size of Yellowstone’s bureaucratic empire by allowing snowmobiles in the park this winter.
Ban snowmobiles. Let’s experiment and do some wildlife research. Plow the road from West Yellowstone to Madison Junction. People have talked about it for years. Try it. See what happens.
Close the road from Lake to Canyon for 2 years to snowmobiles and snowcoaches–including administrative use. But send out folks on x-c skis to monitor buffalo. After 2 years, open the road to snowmobiles and see how the buffalo react. This would blow the “buffalo don’t care about snowmobiles” theory all to pieces. The buffalo would go into a total panic when the bubbleheads on snowmobiles reappeared after a two year absence.