A roundup of possible Cabinet picks for environment-related positions
By Ralph Maughan On November 11, 2008 · 13 Comments · In Politics
Grist Magazine compiles a list based on “wild rumors”-
It might be based on wild rumors, but I have heard many of them from other sources. Ralph Maughan
A roundup of possible Cabinet picks for environment-related positions. Grist
Tagged with: Obama cabinet
Dr. Ralph Maughan is professor emeritus of political science at Idaho State University. He was a Western Watersheds Project Board Member off and on for many years, and was also its President for several years. For a long time he produced Ralph Maughan's Wolf Report. He was a founder of the Greater Yellowstone Coalition. He and Jackie Johnson Maughan wrote three editions of "Hiking Idaho." He also wrote "Beyond the Tetons" and "Backpacking Wyoming's Teton and Washakie Wilderness." He created and is the administrator of The Wildlife News.
13 Responses to A roundup of possible Cabinet picks for environment-related positions
Subscribe to Blog via EmailJoin 973 other subscribers
- The Logging Juggernaut June 6, 2023
- New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices June 5, 2023
- We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate. May 31, 2023
- Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges May 27, 2023
- Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green May 26, 2023
- Ida Lupine on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Jeff on The Logging Juggernaut
- Charles Fox on The Logging Juggernaut
- Maximilian Werner on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Diane Martin-Brodak on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Steve Kohlmann on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Kevin Bixby on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Lyn McCormick on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Jannett Heckert on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Rick Meis on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Mary on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Rambling Dave on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Ida Lupine on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
EPA: Mary Nichols
Energy: Dan Reicher (dark horse, The Terminator)
Interior: John Kitzhaber
Climate: duh, Gore, of course.
I’d like to see Dombeck back at as the USFS Chief. His position on the RI alone qualifies him for that IMHO.
As a New Mexican, I’d like to see Bill Richardson at Interior, but most folks here are pushing him hard for Secretary of State. One person not mentioned in the article, but whose name has surfaced occasionally around these parts, is Congressman Raul Grijalva from Arizona. His instincts are good, but I don’t know much about how forcefully he’d be willing to plant his feet on the nether regions of slackers in that big department. That’s one area where Richardson would excel.
My personal guess is that Richardson wouldn’t take either the DOI job or energy (He’s been there, done that.). I think he’s aiming higher.
John weis, I would be very happy if the folks were nominated for the postions you listed!!!!!
If anyone has written a letter to Obama’s transition team, I encourage them to post it here–assuming that is alright with Ralph? I am in the process of composing a letter myself, and would love to hear others’ recommendations for key cabinet posts.
Yes. If anyone has done that, we could benefit by reading it.
Sent my comments to “Change.gov”. Can’t retreive my letter, but I strongly supported Bobby Kennedy for Interior Sec and Richardson for Sec of State.
Is there a better contact than the Change.gov website??
I also suggested Gov Bill Ritter of Colorado for Interior, along with what jerry b suggested. Any more?
Ralph Maughan for Sec. of the Interior!
I definitely hope brian schweitzer is not sec of the interior.
Jamie Clark as Sec of Int would just about guarantee wolf and predator (like grizzly in Idaho) recovery in more than token areas… A solid pick for me.
I say no Salazar, no Schweitzer. But given Schweitzer’s big endorsement at the DNC, he may have the inside track.
Ritter is well meaning andpro-active, but isn’t necessarily the best closer…also a big supporter of corn fuels. We need more environmental bulldogs.
Clinton is being vetted for sec of state.