Reaction to the latest try to delist wolves-
Here are links to a number of reactions-
- NRDC. Flawed Flip-Flop on Wolves. Bush Administration changes course again with Endangered Species List re-removal.
- Defenders of Wildife. Bush administration rushes to strip protections from Northern Rockies wolves. Despite previous court decisions, administration again ignores Endangered Species Act requirements.
- Wyoming Chapter of the Sierra Club- News Release pdf
- Oregon Wild- Bush Administration Issues Parting Shot to Gray Wolves. pdf
Story. Gray wolves to lose endangered status. Story in the LA Times by By Jim Tankersley
Story. State left out of wolf move. By Cory Hatch. Jackson Hole Daily.
Update story. Last word on wolves is yet to come. Bush removes protections in most of the Rockies, but the Obama administration could reverse the decision. By Rocky Barker. Idaho Statesman.
Update story. Last year the Greater Yellowstone Coalition (GYC) was widely criticized by other conservation groups for their view on delisting. Here is what they said this time. Green groups will like it more. I got this copy from a TV news story.
Dr. Ralph Maughan is professor emeritus of political science at Idaho State University. He was a Western Watersheds Project Board Member off and on for many years, and was also its President for several years. For a long time he produced Ralph Maughan's Wolf Report. He was a founder of the Greater Yellowstone Coalition. He and Jackie Johnson Maughan wrote three editions of "Hiking Idaho." He also wrote "Beyond the Tetons" and "Backpacking Wyoming's Teton and Washakie Wilderness." He created and is the administrator of The Wildlife News.
9 Responses to Reaction to the latest try to delist wolves-
Subscribe to Blog via EmailJoin 970 other subscribers
- New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices June 5, 2023
- We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate. May 31, 2023
- Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges May 27, 2023
- Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green May 26, 2023
- Senator Daines Ill-advised Forest Management Advocacy May 25, 2023
- Maximilian Werner on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Steve Kohlmann on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Kevin Bixby on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Lyn McCormick on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Jannett Heckert on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Rick Meis on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Mary on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Rambling Dave on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Ida Lupine on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Mary on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Jeff Hoffman on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Jeff Hoffman on Senator Daines Ill-advised Forest Management Advocacy
- laurie on Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green
Nice last minute move to claim they de-listed wolves before they ran away from DC. Salazar is in for a fight if he doesn’t take action soon. Perhaps there will be some sweeping EO to just get rid of all the dirty little digs the Bu$hCo gang of thieves did on heir way out the door, which I hope slams on their fingers and their backsides.
What goes around comes around. Karma, the great equalizer…
There will be no swipe of the pen, the wolves have been de-listed, there is no try, when it comes down to it, this is really low on the priority list with the new administration..it will be at least 6 months before anything even gets heard in a court..
And really I am not trying to be negative, but I am speaking from honest to goodness experience with many of the agencies involved…
In the whole scope of things, de-listing wolves is way down the list….
Well, not all agency folks are of that mindset and the stranglehold on their voices is about to be released, could turn out to be a series of events that we never could have predicted…
I have talked to over a 100 of them today, you would be surprised how many of are that mindset! I knew this was coming down two days ago, and have been making phone calls for two days…people are worried about their jobs, this is a really bad situation, and as I said the Bush boys are “Devious Genius” in the way they did this..
I don’t think it is down the list. It is something almost everyone knows about, It is one of the Republican “Red Meat” issues – like drilling in ANWAR. Wolf killing benefits the cattle Industry and despoilers of the earth (by distracting from all else evil that is going on) by being NEVER RESOLVED. And it can’t be satisfactorily resolved with Reactionary and Crazy Legislatures and people like Butch Otter running key states.
Also recall: How effective the Defenders Palin aerial gunning of wolves ad was not long after her splash onto the scene – it was one of the first things that made people look critically at her. And say _ Yuck – she is disgusting. Will Defenders run an ad like that against Salazar/Obama if they fail to act to Roll the De-Listing back on Day One?
Lets see KT, “Gitmo” “Wolves” hmmmmm, what do I do on my first day? hmmmmm
You guys and gals are living in another world if you think that “almost everyone” knows about it…
We in the west know about it because it is front page news almost every single day, those people in NY for the most part don’t pay attention to it and really don’t care about it, except for those two weeks they visit out west…
We care, they don’t!
Sorry Save Bears- I don’t agree. Obama has slots called the Cabinet being filled. What are the 2 most controversial things Interior deals with? Oil and gas especially now in Red Rock country, and wolves. There WILL be token efforts made by the Obamans – if Defenders et al (Big Greens) cry loud enough over this, they will get something thrown their way. If they don’t …
You can believe that way, but look at who he put in charge of the interior? his treasury pick is now under fire for not paying taxes, cry as loud as you want, I don’t expect to see anything new for at least 6 months, and I am not against your point of view, I am just talking from experience of working for Fish Wildlife and Parks, and dealing with the DOI and USFWS..I HOPE I am wrong…
Interesting NPR piece on Wyoming’s reaction to Obama…
It’s about 4 minutes long, predictable to us but maybe an eye-opener to the rest of the states in other regions.