Western Watersheds wins a second legal case today
The focus has been on the bighorn sheep versus domestic sheep case, but Greta Anderson of the WWP’s Arizona office won an case before an administratrive law judge today — Western Watersheds Project v. Bureau of Land Management and intervener Byner Cattle Corporation.
Here is the order. Byner Complex Order October 2009
Dr. Ralph Maughan is professor emeritus of political science at Idaho State University. He was a Western Watersheds Project Board Member off and on for many years, and was also its President for several years. For a long time he produced Ralph Maughan's Wolf Report. He was a founder of the Greater Yellowstone Coalition. He and Jackie Johnson Maughan wrote three editions of "Hiking Idaho." He also wrote "Beyond the Tetons" and "Backpacking Wyoming's Teton and Washakie Wilderness." He created and is the administrator of The Wildlife News.
10 Responses to Western Watersheds wins a second legal case today
Subscribe to Blog via EmailJoin 972 other subscribers
- The Logging Juggernaut June 6, 2023
- New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices June 5, 2023
- We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate. May 31, 2023
- Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges May 27, 2023
- Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green May 26, 2023
- Jeff on The Logging Juggernaut
- Charles Fox on The Logging Juggernaut
- Maximilian Werner on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Steve Kohlmann on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Kevin Bixby on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Lyn McCormick on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Jannett Heckert on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Rick Meis on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Mary on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Rambling Dave on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Ida Lupine on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Mary on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Jeff Hoffman on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
That is great news!
What is most appalling is that BLM acts like there are an endless amount of funds to build all manner of NEW cow projects – yet the existing projects are often in rack and ruin. Not to mention the gross depletion of the landscape the existing projects have caused.
And how very few “undeveloped” waters exist in places like – central AZ!
Beyond that all Why would anyone in their right mind want to BUILD MORE cow contraptions in an area so completely unsuited for livestock grazing as the Big Sandy country???
That BLM continues this ridiculous course of action, instead of just terminating the permits – is a testimony to the failures of the Obama admin, and its appointment of the rancher and know-nothing Ken Salazar as a Dark Nasty Hat quelling any change at Interior.
I was hoping for some good news. After reading yesterday about the grizzly sow that had 3 cubs getting shot I was on bad news overload.
More good news. Thank you WWP!!
Congrats WWP, this is great news. Did FNAWS help at all?
It goes to show that the BLM does not look at all aspects of an action in their EAs. How can the public comment on actions if they don’t know about them? Hence, the WWPs court action and subsequent ruling.
Thanks WWP for your efforts in keeping the BLM honest.
Thanks, Greta, and WWP, for helping keep the land management agencies honest. It’s a real struggle!
Well, to be fair, sometimes they are honest. Like, when I asked them how they came up with the proposed number of animal unit months and I was told that it was the lowest number the permittee would agree to. That was probably honest- an illegal basis for management, but true nonetheless.
BTW, the “permittee” is a subsidiary of Freeport McMoRan mining company. Its corporate offices are in the same downtown Phoenix building as the Arizona State BLM offices.
Ay, ay, ay! This sounds like the basis for a great Jon Stewart skit.