With Whaling Ships Under Attack, Japan Will Recall Fleet
“Japan will cut short this year’s annual whale hunt in the Antarctic Ocean after obstruction by an environmental group largely prevented its ships from killing whales, the government said Friday.” Read about in in the New York Times. By Martin Fackler.
– – – – –
Earlier in this blog. 11/30/10. Has the Japanese Whaling Fleet Surrendered? By Ken Cole.
Dr. Ralph Maughan is professor emeritus of political science at Idaho State University. He was a Western Watersheds Project Board Member off and on for many years, and was also its President for several years. For a long time he produced Ralph Maughan's Wolf Report. He was a founder of the Greater Yellowstone Coalition. He and Jackie Johnson Maughan wrote three editions of "Hiking Idaho." He also wrote "Beyond the Tetons" and "Backpacking Wyoming's Teton and Washakie Wilderness." He created and is the administrator of The Wildlife News.
13 Responses to With Whaling Ships Under Attack, Japan Will Recall Fleet
Subscribe to Blog via EmailJoin 972 other subscribers
- The Logging Juggernaut June 6, 2023
- New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices June 5, 2023
- We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate. May 31, 2023
- Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges May 27, 2023
- Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green May 26, 2023
- Charles Fox on The Logging Juggernaut
- Maximilian Werner on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Steve Kohlmann on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Kevin Bixby on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Lyn McCormick on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Jannett Heckert on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Rick Meis on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Mary on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Rambling Dave on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Ida Lupine on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Mary on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Jeff Hoffman on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Jeff Hoffman on Senator Daines Ill-advised Forest Management Advocacy
Hats off! These guys did an outstanding job!
Of all the offenses against any type of wild animal, and there are many, the continued rationale for hunting of Cetaceans is perhaps one of the most baffling.
Japan says hunting whales is “humane”. They have this arrogant attitude where they are shocked when anyone questions why they deserve unfettered access to all marine resources on the planet.
Can’t wait to watch the next season.
me too. sea shepard are the true fighters for the whales. I hope whale hunting is banned in the near future! there is no excuse for slaughtering magnificent animals like whales and dolphins.
Mike: I hope eventually there is no more “Whale Wars”, because that would signify the end of the killing of the whales by the Japanese.
As a friend of mine said, “direct action gets the goods”.
Greenpeace has been raising money on this issue for years and they haven’t even bothered to send any ships down to the southern ocean for the last few years. Instead, they tried to get an agreement signed which would have lowered the quota to half of what the Japanese had set even though Sea Shepherds had already accomplished that. This year they hounded them from the very beginning and have likely shut them down entirely. Meanwhile, Greenpeace is sucking the funding well dry so that they can send origami whales to Obama.
Doesn’t that sound familiar?
I’m sure they are the only group that does that. 😉
From Paul Watson: http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-media/editorial-110218-1.html
“I also suspect that instead of “sampling” from different pods or groups, they took the opportunity to slaughter entire groups to maximize their take. This conflicts with their so-called scientific justification for whaling, but they were desperate to kill as many whales as possible before we could latch onto their stern, and shut them down for good.”
Thank You Sea Shepherds! The Sea Shepherds and The Buffalo Field Campaign are perfect examples of effective civil disobedience in action.
This is really good news. I support and am proud of the Sea Shepherd’s actions.
William: Japan says they kill whales for scientific purposes, kind of like how hunters were proposing to kill wolves for scientific research. We all know that is a load of garbage. They use the meat of the whales in their meat markets but hide the facts behind the “scientific purposes”. Japan and China are large killers of whales and dolphins. The majority of the people, from what I have read about, that live in the countries are not in favor of the government’s killings of the two Cetaceans, but they are not aware of what product of meat they buy that consists of dolphin or whale flesh. From a story I read a few months back, it is not labeled whale or dolphin meat, they hide the facts in giving it another less distinguishing name.
Ergo watch The Cove
Immer: Yes. I have watched that series. A article from National Geographic was based on the series.