Friends of bears smile as 399’s daughter shows up with two cubs
Grand Teton Park’s grizzly bear 610 has her first cubs-
Daughter of famous griz is a mom now, too: Grand Teton wildlife watchers thrilled by new generation. Jackson Hole News and Guide. By Cory Hatch
Here is a feel good story, and the old gal, gb399, is still around! For years 399 and her three cubs thrilled photographers. Now one of them has cubs of her own.
The other two off-spring of 399 have not fared so well. We posted this story back in late 2009. Controversial Grizzly Bear Death A Family Tragedy.
Dr. Ralph Maughan is professor emeritus of political science at Idaho State University. He was a Western Watersheds Project Board Member off and on for many years, and was also its President for several years. For a long time he produced Ralph Maughan's Wolf Report. He was a founder of the Greater Yellowstone Coalition. He and Jackie Johnson Maughan wrote three editions of "Hiking Idaho." He also wrote "Beyond the Tetons" and "Backpacking Wyoming's Teton and Washakie Wilderness." He created and is the administrator of The Wildlife News.
11 Responses to Friends of bears smile as 399’s daughter shows up with two cubs
Subscribe to Blog via EmailJoin 973 other subscribers
- The Logging Juggernaut June 6, 2023
- New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices June 5, 2023
- We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate. May 31, 2023
- Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges May 27, 2023
- Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green May 26, 2023
- Ida Lupine on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Jeff on The Logging Juggernaut
- Charles Fox on The Logging Juggernaut
- Maximilian Werner on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Diane Martin-Brodak on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Steve Kohlmann on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Kevin Bixby on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Lyn McCormick on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Jannett Heckert on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Rick Meis on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Mary on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Rambling Dave on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Ida Lupine on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
We saw 610 on May 24th and she was anything but comfortable with the roadside crowd. For the first time, I saw a grizzly huff and puff and curl her lips as she anxiously sent her cubs up a tree. Guess new moms are very protective.
Thanks, Connie. I’ll bet the Park Rangers will have their hands full.
Hope the Tea Party hasn’t left them short-staffed.
More exciting is the fact that many are reporting that 399 herself is on seen sporting triplets once again.
It has not been verified to my satisfaction yet but it may be so…………
I heard the same thing about 399 and triplets—needs to be confirmed, but encouraging news.
Here they are 610 and 2 cubs- http://dailyjacksonhole.wordpress.com/2011/06/01/out-for-a-stroll/
I have been getting great views of her for the last few weeks, what a great bear. She has been very patient with crowds from what I have seen. We even got to watch her climb a good 80 ft up a tree after the cubs the other day!
Here are the cubs: http://dailyjacksonhole.wordpress.com/2011/06/05/cubs/
399 does indeed have triplet COY as well! Not my video but see them here shot June 5th:
Wow! That’s a lot of new cubs for GTNP.
I would imagine her stress level would be high having cubs for the first time and a crowd of people observing them. Great news for 610, and more of 399’s legacy is passing along.
Bummer – Bear killed in Yellowstone.
An article about 399’s second batch of triplets
i seen 610 and 2 cubs in willows flat on6/12/2011. She just took down a elk calf