Mike Simpson’s “extinction bill” defeated by House Democrats plus some Republicans
Effort by Idaho Republican to cut all new endangered species listings is stripped out of the critical 2012 Interior Budget Bill-
Dicks’ amendment to DOI Appropriations bill in the House passes!!
House Appropriations subcommitte chair Mike Simpson of Eastern Idaho figured he had it all lined up to abolish the listing of endangered species by saying no money could be spent to list new species in the upcoming fiscal year. He wrote it into the majority party’s bill, but Democrats almost unanimously opposed his pro-extinction section when it came to the floor of the House and 37 Republicans would not stomach the radical action either. Simpson’s “let-them-just-go-extinct-section” was taken out of the bill on 224-202 vote in favor of Norm Dick’s Washington State Democrat amendment.
Story in the The Hill. House restores Endangered Species Act listings; GOP splits in vote. By Pete Kasperowicz
Dr. Ralph Maughan is professor emeritus of political science at Idaho State University. He was a Western Watersheds Project Board Member off and on for many years, and was also its President for several years. For a long time he produced Ralph Maughan's Wolf Report. He was a founder of the Greater Yellowstone Coalition. He and Jackie Johnson Maughan wrote three editions of "Hiking Idaho." He also wrote "Beyond the Tetons" and "Backpacking Wyoming's Teton and Washakie Wilderness." He created and is the administrator of The Wildlife News.
7 Responses to Mike Simpson’s “extinction bill” defeated by House Democrats plus some Republicans
Subscribe to Blog via EmailJoin 973 other subscribers
- The Logging Juggernaut June 6, 2023
- New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices June 5, 2023
- We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate. May 31, 2023
- Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges May 27, 2023
- Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green May 26, 2023
- Ida Lupine on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Jeff on The Logging Juggernaut
- Charles Fox on The Logging Juggernaut
- Maximilian Werner on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Diane Martin-Brodak on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Steve Kohlmann on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Kevin Bixby on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Lyn McCormick on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Jannett Heckert on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Rick Meis on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Mary on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Rambling Dave on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Ida Lupine on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
keeping track of the amendments to the bill is kind of interesting.
unfortunately, there the Dick’s amendment does nothing to curtail the ‘death to bighorn’ provision, nor livestock grazing issues in the bill …
Guess we need to keep on truckin’.
Sadly, it’s true that other efforts to make the DOI Appropriations bills less bad failed. Welfare ranchers won while the rest of us have our basic benefits threatened by the Republican radicals.
How does someone go from trying to protect the Whiteclouds to this? Did the Livestock Gurus offer a few Million? I haven’t followed it close enough but this seems strange compared to what he was trying to do.
I think you hit the nail on the head. he went to the higgest bidder, the livestock industry.
Livestock owners are the ones who are kill crazy. They are so against the wolves. I am tired of them getting away with murdering the wolves.
The Governors are just as bad.
Unfortunately, Simpson has some other dirty tricks up his sleeve. Please write a post about the grazing and bighorn riders (http://www.nytimes.com/gwire/2011/07/29/29greenwire-esa-rider-averted-but-some-species-remain-in-c-75822.html) and urge all your readers to contact their congresscritter.