New wildfire grows rapidly just south of Jackson, WY
Human-caused fire just one ridge south of Cache Creek!
Revised on 9/11 afternoon. All of the mountains immediately south of Jackson, WY have been closed due to the
Little Horsethief Fire Horsethief Canyon Fire that started from an illegal private trash fire late Saturday and now is over 1500 2600 acres just south of the large tourist, recreation town of Jackson, Wyoming. It began adjacent to South Park and burned up into the mountains away from the hayfields and houses.
The fire is burning in the uplands just south of Cache Creek. The town of Jackson lies at the mouth of Cache Creek. The east side of Jackson is an advisory notice for evacuation.
Here is the InciWeb site
The Jackson Hole News and Guide has an on-line story they have been updating fairly often on the fire.
Here is the Town of Jackson Fire Evacuation advisory map. Posted 9/11
– – – – –
Meanwhile a fire just south of Casper, Wyoming on Casper Mountain (The Sheep Herder Hill Fire) has burned 7 homes and threatens 750 more. Story in Casper Star Tribune.
Dr. Ralph Maughan is professor emeritus of political science at Idaho State University. He was a Western Watersheds Project Board Member off and on for many years, and was also its President for several years. For a long time he produced Ralph Maughan's Wolf Report. He was a founder of the Greater Yellowstone Coalition. He and Jackie Johnson Maughan wrote three editions of "Hiking Idaho." He also wrote "Beyond the Tetons" and "Backpacking Wyoming's Teton and Washakie Wilderness." He created and is the administrator of The Wildlife News.
12 Responses to New wildfire grows rapidly just south of Jackson, WY
Subscribe to Blog via EmailJoin 970 other subscribers
- The Logging Juggernaut June 6, 2023
- New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices June 5, 2023
- We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate. May 31, 2023
- Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges May 27, 2023
- Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green May 26, 2023
- Charles Fox on The Logging Juggernaut
- Maximilian Werner on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Steve Kohlmann on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Kevin Bixby on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Lyn McCormick on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Jannett Heckert on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Rick Meis on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Mary on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Rambling Dave on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Ida Lupine on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Mary on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Jeff Hoffman on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Jeff Hoffman on Senator Daines Ill-advised Forest Management Advocacy
This fire was man-caused. Grrrr….
Updates every half hour or so from the Jackson Hole news & Guide
I couldn’t find info on the details of the human cause, but it shows the ignition point very close to the busy highway.
I updated the story to tell that the fire was started by a man who burned trash on his property. Burning under the conditions then prevailing was not allowed.
It started in the backyard of a home in the Little Horsethief subdivision, it started around 3pm and exploded up the hill and into the canyon complex behind Snow King shortly thereafter. It was supposedly a brush fire that went out of control.
Well, if it’s as windy over there as it is here today, good luck.
Thanks, checking in from the evacuation advisory zone, and things appear to have calmed a bit so that’s good, the official update site is here:
We are all hopeful things will turn from town!
More on the fire cause…
No evacuation will occur tonight, hooray!
Its been a mess but I am sure the person responsible feels pretty bad at this point.
I hope the whole state burns up and takes all the wolf killers with it, especially the governor. (KARMA)
Are you 9 years old or something? Did it ever occur to you that maybe not everyone in a state supports those policies? I saw your juvenile tantrum about the Idaho fires too.
For what it’s worth, Jackson, WY is a very progressive community, with many intelligent, caring people who very much supported wolf reintroduction and very much opposed Wyoming’s wolf policies.
But even if Jackson were more representative of the rest of Wyoming, wishing harm upon innocent people is wrongheaded and hateful.
Think of the irony: on September 11, you are hoping that innocent people get hurt because you oppose the policies of their government.
Whoever is responsible for this should be thrown in jail.