Changes in the riparian vegetation along the San Pedro River before and after livestock removal from the main river corridor.
The Bureau of Land Management released its Environmental Assessment for livestock grazing in the San Pedro National Conservation Area (SPNCA) in Arizona.
The BLM has decided that the […]Continue Reading →
Why Fewer Acres burned in the California 2022 Fire Season
The Dixie Fire charred 900,000 acre plus acres in 2021. The fire burned through numerous portions of the forest that had been thinned or even clearcut as seen in this photo. Photo George Wuerthner
A December 20th article in the New York Times declared California had a quiet fire season. […]Continue Reading →
Gila NF Proposes Removal of Feral Cattle from Gila Wilderness
Cattle grazing is the greatest threat to the Greater Gila Ecosystem in New Mexico. Photo George Wuerthner
Livestock grazing is the biggest scourge to Southwestern ecosystems. No matter where they are found, domestic livestock poses a significant threat to wildlife and ecosystem function.
Feral livestock currently roams the 558,065 Gila Wilderness, and […]Continue Reading →
Strategic Reserves in Oregon to Protect Biodiversity, Water and Carbon
Old growth forests of Oregon store some of the greatest amounts of carbon in the United States. Photo George Wuerthner
A new study, Strategic reserves in Oregon’s forests for biodiversity, water, and carbon to mitigate and adapt to climate change, reported in Frontiers in Forests and Global Climate Change, proposes setting […]Continue Reading →
Media Distortion of SW Indigenous Fire Management
Ponderosa pine in New Mexico Blue Range Wilderness. Photo George Wuerthner A new paper, Indigenous fire management and cross-scale fire climate relationships in the Southwest United States from 1500 to 1900 CE, was recently published. Based on solid scientific research, it makes the important point that indigenous fire management was local rather than landscape […]Continue Reading →
Rewilding the West and the 2023 Farm Bill
The Rewilding the West proposal calls for the restoration of wolves across federal lands. Photo George Wuerthner
The current Farm Bill, which Congress passed in 2018, is set to expire in 2023. Congress will undoubtedly enact a new Farm Bill.
The Farm Bill provides an opportunity to incorporate the provisions of the […]Continue Reading →
President Biden Set to Designate Avi Kwa Ame National Monument
The granite summit of Spirit Mountain in the proposed Avi Kwa Ame National Monument, Nevada. Photo George Wuerthner
President Biden appears ready to designate the Avi Kwa Ame National Monument in southern Nevada.
The monument will protect almost a half million acres of the Mohave Desert between the California border and the […]Continue Reading →
Irrigation Vandalism of Deschutes River
The Deschutes River in Bend during the summer is downstream from irrigation removal of the water is little more than a creek. Photo George Wuerthner
In October, irrigators began the annual drawing down of the Deschutes River to the point where fish and other […]Continue Reading →
Subscribe to Blog via EmailJoin 973 other subscribers
- The Logging Juggernaut June 6, 2023
- New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices June 5, 2023
- We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate. May 31, 2023
- Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges May 27, 2023
- Grizzlies Get A Win On Upper Green May 26, 2023
- Ida Lupine on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Jeff on The Logging Juggernaut
- Charles Fox on The Logging Juggernaut
- Maximilian Werner on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Diane Martin-Brodak on New Bison Video From Yellowstone Voices
- Steve Kohlmann on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Kevin Bixby on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Lyn McCormick on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Jannett Heckert on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Rick Meis on We Lost Jim Bailey–Wild Bison Advocate.
- Ida Lupine on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Mary on Save Our Sequoias Act–A Stealth Attack On NEPA, ESA and Our Sequoia Groves
- Rambling Dave on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges
- Ida Lupine on Wildfire And California Home Insurance Challenges